Thread: Lingopolitics?

Talking Lingopolitics?

Maybe this should be in tech humour?

I was looking at a box this morning that has had a tendency to turn off the monitor at random intervals. The power stays on, but the screen goes black.

I figured that it was probably the video card, as I got the famous "ati3d1ag" reference on a blue screen...........................there was also a possibility of java being involved.

So I downloaded the latest ATI drivers etc and loaded them and got this message that it was:

"changing the language from Canadian English to United States English

This was right at reboot time, so it had nothing to do with the installation language...........the installation did not really need a language anyway as it was virtually automatic.

I can understand word processors offering different versions of English to load their dictionaries and grammar checks, but this was a new one on me.

I have just checked the keyboard, and the input locale is UK English??????????????

I suspect it is politics, as I have done some experiments with word processing packages and most flavours of English are the same..................I guess it is just to pay lip service to national identities?

I have never noticed a marked difference in Canadian and US English.
    changing the language from Canadian English to United States English
    The only thing would be that Canadians have a tendency to use "eh" in their spoken english, more than USers do.

Now proper English english, I will admitt, is quite different. Its almost a foreign language with their bonnets for proper hoods and all.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

********** |ceWriterguy
    Canadian English, UK English, American English - hell, none of us have spoken English English in years.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

English???? Must be a foreign language

Hey mox~

Now proper English english, I will admitt, is quite different. Its almost a foreign language with their bonnets for proper hoods and all.
    In England our automobiles have "bonnets" and "boots", as befits a lady...................."hoods" belong in Chicago and "trunks" on circus elephants

What struck me as weird is that all I was doing was updating the video drivers