Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best free ftp client

Best free ftp client

I have recently been confronted by the lame ability of IE to handle ftp.

I have searched on Google for information but I have only been able to find distributers talking about how superior their specific ftp client is, or little to no actual ratings on ftp clients.

I would be very grateful to hear what any of you would recommend for the best free ftp client?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

All FTP sucks but GFTP.

GFTP? That's a new one. I assume it's a GNU FTP client of some kind maybe? Are there different versions of it?

Or is it a specific product not type of ftp client?

Ok, I looked it up. "gFTP is a free multithreaded file transfer client for *NIX based machines."

Let me reword my original request. Is there a good ftp client that anyone would recommend for a Windows based machine?

I often use my SuSE Linux partition but it would be irritating to reboot every time I needed to use FTP.

Thanks!
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

Ahh Windows stuff. Horse13 said there is one that looks a lot like it and works the same for Windows but I can't remember what it's called right now, might want to send him a PM. Just say "Hey what is the Windows FTP client you talked about with gore".

Or reboot into Linux, open the Windows partition, open WINE, and work all from there

Originally posted here by gore
    All FTP sucks but GFTP.
    I second that.

But for Windows, have a look at CuteFTP and WS-FTP. I'm not so sure about CuteFTP, but I know WS-FTP releases a royalty-free version. Otherwise, check out the list at download.com.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Banned
    Smart FTP is hands-down the best Windows FTP client imo. Here's a list of features.

Windows: I would say flashfxp! but its not free so smart wins by default
    Linux: Midnight commander :P
    meh. -ech0.

Banned
    You could choose FileZilla, of course. Free, opensource and thus you get the sourcecode too in case you're interested in that.
    Of course, if you know the FTP protocol you could just write simple command scripts and combine them with the ftp.exe commandline tool in Windows. Which is actually a good thing to automate FTP updates...

It hasn't been updated in several years now, but I used to love LeechFTP. I haven't used an FTP client in a long time, but LeechFTP supports multiple threads at the same time -- a feature I exploited heavily.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

I second Negative on the Smart FTP. I've used it before and it has a plethora of useful features. However, and I've said this before, I'm partial to merely using the command prompt for command line ftp browsing (atleast with Windows).
    Space For Rent.. =]