Thread: Making a Firewall

Making a Firewall

I want to make a firewall. Firstly, is a firewall solely for stopping people from connecting to your ports or does it do other stuff as well? Secondly, how do you close access to your ports? I tend to work in java and I have a limited experience of sockets and networking.
    Cereal: Eaten at all times of the day.

As far as 'making' a software level filtering firewall goes, try seeing how others work as well. You might want to look into iptables (*nix) and it's switches.
    Secondly, how do you close access to your ports?
    You might want to ellaborate a little bit on this statement as well...
    OS ?
    Stand-Alone Machine ?
    Service ?

Firstly, is a firewall solely for stopping people from connecting to your ports or does it do other stuff as well?
    I'd love to help you with that question, but different firewalls work differently, and of course there are different types. Hardware firewalls and Software based.
    In the link below is a small *Hardware And Software* debate..
    http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...le.php/3103431
    PM me if you need any other help..
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

They do stop people connecting to open ports, they also stop programs accessing the internet/network, log attempts from inbound packets to enter through a port, allow configuration to allow selected data types through specific ports. Some also hide open ports to fool some lower end port scanners.

Banned
    Check out SourceForge for some existing sources for Firewalls. And be prepared to learn a lot about sockets and networking.