Thread: Free ISP for linux

The Recidivist

Free ISP for linux

Someone asked me this morning about a free ISP for linux and I haven't been able to find one. I see there is one but its only for the UK. US access is charged.

I seen a 2000 article that said NetZero would support linux but all I see supported in Linspire.

Does anyone know of a free ISP that supports linux?

Ryan
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

I'd imagine that almost any ISP has the ability to support linux... just not the support personnel.

It's just a ppp connection as far as dial up is concerned.

Anyway, do they have a wifi card? What about any open access points around where they use their PC?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

The Recidivist
    I do not know to much about the difference in OS when connecting to your isp but I wouldn't think it would be different. TCP/IP is TCP/IP regardless right?

lol @ wifi question. That was the first thing I asked as well and apparently its a rural area and there are none available.

Ryan
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

TCP/IP is TCP/IP regardless right?
    Right... for the most part. There are little differences between the OS's implementation of the protocol... but nothing that should affect logging into an ISP. TCP/IP is needed for communiation after you connect... not during authentication of your connection. TCP/IP should start after you've been authenticated and assigned an IP and DNS settings.

Its just a PPP connection. Now AOHell is slightly differernt... IIRC. But free accounts from KMart (if they still exist) would just use a PPP connection.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~forsberg/...onnection.html
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

The Recidivist
    I was trying to find how the implentation was different between Windows and Linux concerning tcp/ip and couldn't find anything in laymens terms or even something I could begin to comprehend. Any idea where I can find a link?

Ryan
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Well, for the most parts... they are going to follow the RFCs, but you will find differences in the implementations of ICMP and TTLs and etc. within the TCP/IP stack itself. Thats how tools like nmap can do OS detection (along with banner grabbing).

Don't have any specific info as far as exactly what is different... never really researched it.

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/nmap-fi...g-article.html

Again... AFAIK... ISPs are not going to care so much about which implementation of TCP/IP you're using. Its the connection that you are going to be interested in. TCP/IP is after you've already connected.