Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yas!!! fuskin happy days!

yas!!! fuskin happy days!

Its been a long wait, I wont try to play it down...its ben a long trek full of trials and hardship. At some points I didn't think I would make it but I knew I just had to keep going. And finally after all the heart ache and stress its finally paid off.....

.... I've got broadband at home again!!!!

For those who didn't know I recently moved into a new flat (well a month and a bit ago) and due to some problems with the phone system in my new place it took a fuskin age to get my broadband enabled again. But my modem arrived this morning! Hence I'm already 45mins late for work - no way I was waiting to set this bitch up. My computer, AV, Firewall - EVERYTHING! has been gasping for updates
    couldn't let them suffer any longer!

So yeah no more only able to get access between 10am 6pm (while at work) I am now connected 24/7/365 again - yas!

v_Ln

i've never had broadband at home.

and then i moved to the ass hole of the country.

`` yes sir, that will take two weeks before we can 'hook-up' your phone like''

but it's already there, i can see the copper coming in to my house, how is it taking you two weeks?

four weeks later> screw you guys, i'm cancelling my order.
    i'm hoping to get some sort of wireless thing going on. completely bypass the extremely greedy phone network shite hawks.

or, MAGNET. they seem good. pumping fiber into peoples homes. in dubland only of course, but soon it will spread (not to where i am, but i won't be here for ever).

the people at MAGNET are talking about providing VoD services by 2K7. should be GREAT. i'm sick of renting films/movies...having to walk to the rental shop. and then, the next day, bring it back or get eXtorted by them...well, their number is up! HA!

thanks.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Strange?

All I got was a packet with a couple of signal splitters and a modem...................took all of 30 minutes to set up and activate?

Mind you, I was one of the first around here and it has become a very cut-throat industry in the UK.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I had dial up when i lived at home... then i finally told the parents i couldnt take it anymore so we got DSL now that im in an apartment I have cable internet... fast is good! Comcast Digital Cable gives us a combo package of cable tv/cable internet... kinda expensive but worth it.... btw their set up times suck! it took them 2 weeks to come out and hook us up!!!
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

i don't even have dialup at home.

well, i can dial a normal "pay-as-you-go" type of ISP using my cell phone, but man, that costs! like, more than a euro per minute.

and i only get 9.6K/s.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Originally posted here by nihil
    Strange?

All I got was a packet with a couple of signal splitters and a modem...................took all of 30 minutes to set up and activate?

Mind you, I was one of the first around here and it has become a very cut-throat industry in the UK.

nihil - thats the normal way, order broadband...receive modem..activated at exchange - done.
    But I had 2 complications :

1. The people who had flat before me were on BT HomeHighway which meant rather than just switch line on at exchange (2 days wait tops - normally within 24hrs) they had to send an engineer out. Which meant almost a month wait for an available engineer slot :S Worst bit was that I could ahve done the switch myself (change outlets in house) but obviously could not access BT panel to turn line on.

2. Was going with different provider than BT for Broadband and calls (tiscalli - unlimited 2meg with free Uk calls and a bunch of other discounts to mobiles and international for a tenner less than BT's 30gig monthly limited 2meg service!)
    Because I was keeping BT line but using a different provider Ofcom says the other provider must give you a 10 day 'cooling off' period before they do the switch and tie you into the contract.

So hence my hair pulling for past month and a half

Nice man. Heh, I remember when I had dial up. The horror.... Which is all I have at work, hence me never being here during the Friday and saturday period until around 8 PM or so. The dial up at work blows dicks. And no network toys

Boxes at work:

An AMD box with 1 GHz and Windows 98 SE (I installed Doom Doom 2 and Final Doom on it)

A P3 550 with Quake, Quake 2 and Quake 3 on it (Uncle is the owner, he got me into Doom, I got him into Quake)

A 386 Running DOS and a custom DOS only proggie

A 486 running DOS and Windows 3 (And 500 games including the original DOS Doom, and Wolfenstein 3D and Wolfenstein Spear of Destiny).... That's all besides one more Dell machine that runs a Bill Payment system.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by gore
    Nice man. Heh, I remember when I had dial up. The horror....

NTL , the man never let me down
    You get him , you'll never have a frown
    you want speed , forget BT,
    Go for the cable guy, bum dee bum etc, etc

gore:- The horror....

Hi son, how are things? ooops, almost forgot, Booooooooo
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Fine fine, sitting here listening to Rammstein and.... not a lot else. Monsterfest is on AMC

I was going to go cable (NTL) ordered it and everything. But never received the promised confirmation email after placed order online. Nor do it provide me with a reference number at end of order like was suppoused to so I gave it a day and phoned NTL. Conversation went something like this

<NTL Id10t> Hello this is xxxxx may I take your account number please?
    <Me> Hi sorry dont have an account number. Am just calling as I dont think my order to start service with you was processed
    <NTL Id10t> Ok can I have your telephone number please?
    <Me> I dont have an NTL telephone number. I was placing an order online for NTL and it didnt seem to work. Finished without sending me a confirmation or order id
    <NTL Id10t> Am sorry sir I need either your NTL Account number or telephone number in order to find your account
    <Me> I dont have an account - I was trying to set one up but I think the order failed which is what I am calling about!
    <NTL Id10t> Oh sorry Sir, ok not a problem - can I have the order id?
    <Me> No as I said it didn't give me an order id - hence why I think it failed.....
    <NTL Id10t> So you dont have an order Id?
    <Me> No - I ordered online but at end it said 'Order Id' but the space beside it was blank.
    <NTL Id10t> It should be in your confirmation email sir
    <Me> It didn't send me a confirmation email either!! Like I told you at the start
    <NTL Id10t> Oh ok sir well I can check it by name - your name please
    <Me> Mr xxxxxxxxxxx
    <NTL Id10t> Thank you sir checking
    *wait 5 mins - keys clatter*
    <NTL Id10t> Sorry wont be a second sir
    *another 5 mins - more keys*
    <NTL Id10t> I'm sorry sir I dont see any order's under that name
    <Me> I know! Thats what I called about the order failed!!
    <NTL Id10t> Oh....what was it you would like to order sir?
    <Me> Ok lets just make sure of this, you ahve no orders on your system for me?
    <NTL Id10t> No none at all
    <Me> Not a single order?
    <NTL Id10t> Nope I cant find any under that name
    <Me> So you def have no order to connect me to NTL?
    <NTL Id10t> No but I can place that order for you now sir
    <Me> No thanks after this convo I think i'll use another provider
    *click*

hence why i choose BT with a different broadband provider - if thats the kinda of staff they employ I do *not* want to have to deal with them _Ever_ again! (plus the 25min hold to even get to speak to that advisor was enough to piss me off to start with - oh and the crappy call routing system...

Press 1 to speak to sales
    2 for tech support
    3 for faults
    4 to have us stab you in the eye
    5 to return to the start of this menu
    6 to go get cut off

...needless to say i just hammered 9 (as i do with all those systems) till the poor machine crapped itself and put me through to a person

tho would prolly have been better of with the machine.......