Thread: cygwin help

cygwin help

i've installed cygwin package on win2k workstation. everything seems to be working fine except when i ping/tracert "stuff" it will resove the ip correctly but all the reqests are timed out.

any ideas

do expect some answers with this little to go on?

is this on a network? if so what kind. what is it resolving, a network name or internet URL? can you ping the host when not in cygwin?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

tracert is a windows program, the posix port would be called traceroute but as far as i know cygwin does not have it yet.

ping: my guess is that you still use the windows program and not /bin/ping.exe

so after all it seems to me like a windows problem and not a cygwin one.

if indeed you use /bin/ping.exe and it doesn't resolve you might have no nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf

edit it add something like:
    Code:
    nameserver numeric_IP

try traceroute --help and ping --help you will know.

interesting! doing <find / -name ping*> and <find / -name 'trace*'> it seems neither one came with the version of cygwin i have on this box. (traceroute doesnt install with mdk 10 either).

ghostintheruins it looks like your right!

Kosmograd what do you get when you enter 'ipconfig /all'
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Also you have to make sure you've gotten everything in cygwin at the time of the install, I know the devel stuff [gcc & co] don't come in by default and I'm sure there's some other things.

As far as traceroute, I've always had problems from Unix and Linux machines within my network due to the router. A lot of routers made 'for home' aren't usually properly handling traceroute [I know some Linksys and DLinks that don't].

But well don't give up!

cheers!
    /\\