Thread: The $159 PC

The $159 PC

Well...

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1880741,00.asp
    The $159 PC--ExtremeTech Review

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I know people who spend 159 dollars on a graphics card.... If you are REALLY low on money and you dont care about performance at all that seems like a great deal but, personally I would just save money until i could get what i wanted.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I know a lot of people that this would suit but... They'd want windows wouldn't they.

But for a basic user (maybe someone who has never used a windows pc much) it would hit the spot.

At that end of the market I generally go for ex-corporate machines. You will get a monitor, keyboard and mouse thrown into the deal? The monitor will be pretty good, as it has had someone sitting in front of it all day?

It will need more RAM and a decent graphics card, then you are good to go...............it will have a NIC card but you will probably have to buy a dial up modem ($10?)

When looking at these "deals" you have to bear in mind the sost of the peripherals as well

Originally posted here by nihil
    At that end of the market I generally go for ex-corporate machines. You will get a monitor, keyboard and mouse thrown into the deal? The monitor will be pretty good, as it has had someone sitting in front of it all day?

It will need more RAM and a decent graphics card, then you are good to go...............it will have a NIC card but you will probably have to buy a dial up modem ($10?)

When looking at these "deals" you have to bear in mind the sost of the peripherals as well
    I have gone for the ex corp machines as well in the past. Not a bad deal if you check out auction sites for companies going out of business.

One other note: the system is pretty loud. The power supply and CPU fans are really amazingly noisy, so that's another problem if you're sensitive to noisy PCs.
    I have seen these "deal" machines at Frys and they are a bit noisy. So beware on that if you dont like a lot of noise.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Blast From the Past
    buy 5 or 6 of these and a cheep hub... make yourself a small cluster... hows that for power

<imagination>
    wouldnt it be neat if you could use a cluster to improve video performance... dedicate 1 computer to just video processing... i dunno... im crazy
    </imagination>
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Originally posted here by hexadecimal
    buy 5 or 6 of these and a cheep hub... make yourself a small cluster... hows that for power

<imagination>
    wouldnt it be neat if you could use a cluster to improve video performance... dedicate 1 computer to just video processing... i dunno... im crazy
    </imagination>
    With all the power you would use from several machines, wouldnt it be better to just get a faster processor /graphics card?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)