Thread: Answer to perma close to being banned members?

Answer to perma close to being banned members?

ok it has come up time and time again that the close to being banned list is pretty much useless as alot of people on it come post twice - get negged - they hit list, but their posts go sucidal so cant be negged anymore, and as they no longer post they float in an almost banned limbo.

What if we made a little change so that when number of negs goes beyond a certain point (say 2 red dots type level?) that member is then given a month to turn it around - if they dont system bans them.

would be fairly simple to implement - could even be added to login sequence to perform required calculations something like

w = neg limit
    x = current date
    y = date went over limit
    z = number of antipoints

user logs in....
    if z <= w && !y then y = x

elseif z< 0 && y + 2629744 > x then user = banned

comments?

Hi val.

Guess you know I agree...because I'm one of those who brought this up before. ..but in my thread on this, apparently there's been a few who recovered after three dots...not lately I don't think...but it has been done.

Eg

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    but Val's point is still valid, as they now would HAVE to post 'good' replies to get green ......

and if they post you can GET 'EM
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

yup foxley is right - this method allows for people who may recover. Basically what am saying is if they go into the 2 or 3 red dot area (whatever is decided as the cut off point) they then have a set amount of time to redeem themselves (say a month) and in order to do so they ahve to get their AP total back above an acceptable level (say back to zero) - which means they have to post good stuff and get greens.

If they dont - well then they are banned.....so those people who decide to become contirbuting members are fine as they are given a chance before they are banned, those who never come back or decide not to change their ways get banned.

and in order to do so they ahve to get their AP total back above an acceptable level (say back to zero) - which means they have to post good stuff and get greens.
    The only prob i can see with this, is alliances starting up, to help certain member/s from getting banned so quickly...
    I'm sure we can all think of one member whom this could benefit

starts with S and ends in ED

hi val,

Like I said...I agree...my original proposal was to ban after two dots, and I posed the question if anyone ever recovered from three dots...

a time period would be a good inclusion...the only problem I see is that some members who get hit won't read the new time rules ( we all know how newbies like to read the FAQ's ) and will get banned before they ever get the chance to recover...

I still say just remove the list and ban anyone who would have gotten on it...two dots or three...they can always make a new account and start fresh...

look how long diediedie's been on there

Eg

doesnt need to be in FAQ - am sure JP said that once you hit a certain number of neg APs you get some kind of warning message on front page - could just include in that message about the time span (even show them remaining time till their ban!)

So they are presented with it everytime they log in

Hi val,

Didn't know about the message ...

ononehand...I like your idea...

ontheotherhand...I lean towards just ban them and let them open a new account and start fresh after two red dots...

like foxy said...being on that list could be perceived as a sign of prestige...especially since it's on the front page and not just in Stats...it's the old 15 minutes of fame senerio.

Eg

Hmmm,

As I suspected, that top ten is just refreshed with the next highest number of negative points.

At the moment, only the top two have three red dots?

Sure, they hang around, but so do other members?

Just display the members list, and search on joined before 2001-12-31 and you will find lots of people who have never posted, haven't posted in ages, haven't visited in ages.............I really cannot see that there is much of a difference in contributing to the site?

So that begs the question "where does it stop?"..................well, as the site is judged by its number of registered members and its number of visits, and I see complaints about posting crap.........why can't people just join and lurk?

Originally posted here by valhallen
    doesnt need to be in FAQ - am sure JP said that once you hit a certain number of neg APs you get some kind of warning message on front page - could just include in that message about the time span (even show them remaining time till their ban!)

So they are presented with it everytime they log in
    Hey Hey,

I can vouch for the presence of that message, I remember the days when it came up for me daily

As for the idea, I like it. It seems to be a flawless idea....

Peace
    HT