Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Device not detected by win xp

USB Device not detected by win xp

Hi

I just got hold of the nokia n-gage but the usb provided with it is not detected by win xp pro. I dont know why. Can i have any other way to get it detected.

Please help.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Hi Mystery Man, I guess you are using the bluetooth dongle to connect to ngage (as you haven't specified).

--> Check the dongle on your friend's pc. Might be its not working.

--> Look for some drivers on these websites.

Kindly give us more details.

- :S:
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

T3h Ch3F

Hello

Greetings Mystery man:

I would suggest troubleshooting online from Nokia.s website, if not call your cell phone provider, that's what you pay for every month.

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

well the thing is that i am not using bluetooth to connect n-gage. A usb cable is provided which will be seen as a mmc drive once connected. win xp must itself install the drivers but isnt doing so. Its not that its not functioning. My digital camera has sony memory stick and it easily gets connected with the computer through usb.

Are there some other way to get plug-and-play devices get detected in win xp.

Ok I got your problem now but I don't have a definite solution.

Try changing the port. It worked for me as my usb mouse doesn't work on particular port.

Alternative solution - Basically you want to transfer data to your mmc. If your sony dc supports mmc, just put it into it. Connect to the computer. Copy and Paste. Take out mmc of dc and put it in ngage.

- :S:
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

BANNED
    Did you try windows update. Don't go to high priority go to custom and look under hardware updates.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

i have a mmc reader connected to my pc but for that i have to take out the mmc from my n-gage and that requires switching off the cell which will not be the case if i can conect it directly to usb. so that is why the soln. of sony dc is out of consideration. By the way my camera supports only memory stick and not mmc.

Old Fart
    In my experience the USB/phone connection is useless (and consequently cannot be detected) without the manufacturers software tools (as in Motorola Phone Tools for the Razr, etc.). Check the Nokia website for information regarding their proprietary software.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

You should of got an Installation disc with the cell phone, the disc will have the needed driver for the computer to recongnise the cell phone.

If you don't have the installation disc then just browse google for the cell phone make and model, and you should be able to find the driver needed that way..

cheers
    front2back

i have a mmc reader connected to my pc but for that i have to take out the mmc from my n-gage and that requires switching off the cell which will not be the case if i can conect it directly to usb
    If you do that, is the MMC recognised?.......................I just want to verify that the device is OK.

Also, could you try different USB ports as :Singh: has suggested, and at the same time try a different connecting cable USB is not the most precise connection in my experience.

Also check that your hardware supports the "right" USB.............I would guess the phone is USB 2.0? are your ports USB 2.0 or 1.1? Please do NOT confuse this with OS support

For Windows 2000 you need SP4, and you may well need SP2 for Win XP?

allenb1963 & .:front2back:. are spot on, in that you will need the manufacturer's software to get it to work properly. Windows can generally handle simple devices like thumb drives, keyboards and mice, but more sophisticated equipment needs the "management software" as well.

The reason I am questioning the hardware is that I would expect Windows to detect "unknown hardware" and at least try to look for a driver.

You don't seem to be even getting that far?