Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB Device not detected by win xp

The mmc is fully functional and was automatically installed by win xp.

I have tried to connect n-gage with the usb of my camera but is not working although the camera is. When i connect the camera it states that the device can work faster but due to the usb port on my computer it works at a lower data transfer rate.

I have win sp2 installed.

Well atleast i am not able to find any drivers in the cd provided. Searches on google lead to nowhere.

Ok heres an interesting thing. when i first connected the cell to pc with a usb it got detected and was installed but the drive never came up in "my computer". so i disconnected it . On reconnection it is not responding at all. Although the cell responds on a connection made when usb is connected. Maybe thats because the usb is powered externally but the cable is ok and working.

Then i manually deleted the enteries for the n-gage from registry and tried to reconnect. Nothin worked. Then i restored the system to a previous state but nothin happened.

Can anyone tell me the procedure to add a mmc drive in the pc with the phone connected by the add a new hardware wizard.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Have you got the setting's on the cell set to receive transfer via usb?
    There should be a setting that you can either enable or disable usb transfer.
    it should be in the settings folder that you would enable or disable infrared transfers..

front2back:.

This link should help:

http://www.filesaveas.com/ngage.html

There should be an "install" option on the CD run that for Win XP before connecting the device.

I would also look on the CD for the manual. I don't think that you get full functionality with USB, only with Bluetooth.

Also, if you are getting a "slow device" type of message with the camera, it suggests that your PC is USB 1.1. That might not be capable of supporting the ngage device.

In which case you will have to buy a Bluetooth card, a PCI USB 2.0 card or use your MMC reader.

.:front2back:. ngage doesn't support infra-red, and is not that hot with USB...........it really wants Bluetooth

.:front2back:. ngage doesn't support infra-red, and is not that hot with USB...........it really wants Bluetooth
    Well the n-gage that were sold her in Aus supported Infrared, and i know they were shonky when it came to USB Data type transfers.
    Well he/she obviously doesn't have the option of using the BlueTooth Funtion other wise if they could of used it, then this thread would never of been posted in the start..

front2back

http://www.stageselect.com/systems/S...t=Go&fromint=1

this link here suggests that n-gage has usb 1.1

there r no drivers in the cd for win xp usb.

why did it firstly showed installed and then didnt turned up in my "my computer" panel.

Also many links state that n-gage will show up as mmc only i.e. u can access the mmc card's things only not the internal cell memory.

Hmmmm,

1. Have you taken the MMC out and put it into your MMC reader and attempted to access it (read and write to it) that way?. What happens?

2. Have you checked the ngage settings to ensure that they are set up for cable connection?

3. Before you started manually hacking the Registry, did you make a backup?

4. Did you buy this item new, from a reputable outlet?

5. Have you tried to connect it to a different computer?

6. Apart from the PC connection does it function properly?

7. Have you run setup from the CD?

You might need to import the disk...are you logged in as an super-user / administrator?

In XP bring up Administrative Tools (in Start Menu/Control Panel IIRC) and open the Computer Management applet. In the window that opens up find Storage -> Disk Management. Then find whatever looks to be your n-gage and see if you can import the disk.

It may or may not work. But it should tell you if the computer can tell there is a disk attached but for some reason or another doesn't feel like importing it.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're trying to do but judging by the responses, I'll conclude that you are trying to import or extract data from you cell phone by using a USB cable.

I recently did this with my Motorola phone. It does not come up as a drive, instead it comes up as a modem, hence the reason for the manufactuer software; to communicate with the 'modem'. XP originally detected my cell phone and told me the model number and everything but that didn't aid in it working. After googling I found the drivers, I suggest you do the same and buy the software needed for the cell phone.

EDIT: After googling Nokia N-gage, I looked around the site and see both the driver and the software availble for free.
    Driver: http://www.n-gage.com/en-R1/support/...emsoftware.htm
    Software: http://www.n-gage.com/en-R1/support/...re/pcsuite.htm

Hope that helps
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hi

1. Have you taken the MMC out and put it into your MMC reader and attempted to access it (read and write to it) that way?. What happens?

Yes the card is read and written well.

2. Have you checked the ngage settings to ensure that they are set up for cable connection?

When i plug in the usb the softwares on cell are not usable as the card is in use. Plus a sign appears indicating usb access on phone but nothin happens on windows.

3. Before you started manually hacking the Registry, did you make a backup?

That i didnt do as system restore backs up registry. This is tested.

4. Did you buy this item new, from a reputable outlet?

Yes

5. Have you tried to connect it to a different computer?

Not yet but will be trying to do so in near future.

6. Apart from the PC connection does it function properly?

Yes

7. Have you run setup from the CD?

Yes it didnt worked.

Well i think the information in the website link i gave was misleading as the cable given in the sales package has written usb2.0 high speed on it. So i guess the phone has usb 2.0 support. If it is true then is there a possibility that some device do not function on usb1.1. This is not the case with my camera as it gives a msg that this device can work faster if connected to a faster usb port but works fine.

Hmmm,

I still think that it is probably a USB version problem.

The PCSuite software doesn't work with USB:

IMPORTANT: you must have Bluetooth software installed on your PC in order to use the PC Suite.
    Well i think the information in the website link i gave was misleading as the cable given in the sales package has written usb2.0 high speed on it. So i guess the phone has usb 2.0 support. If it is true then is there a possibility that some device do not function on usb1.1. This is not the case with my camera as it gives a msg that this device can work faster if connected to a faster usb port but works fine.
    Try a USB 1.1 cable. If that doesn't work, then you need to look at a Bluetooth dongle, card or a USB 2.0 card to fit in a PCI slot.