Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me

Can anyone help me

Ok I am posting here becuase with my limited computer knowledge I assume my problem is something with hardware, if this thread should be somewhere else please let me know.

I just finished moving into my new house. I had put my comp tower on the floor inthe back seat passenger side of my car for transprtation, and when i had brought it over to other peoples houses in the past i had put it there too so i know that it was pretty safe during the ride. When I start to set everything up inside my computer won't turn on.
    There is a little green light just below where the power cord plugs in to the tower, and when i pulg it in the light begins to blink, computer still won't turn on, and if i unplug my comp the green light starts to slow down and eventually stop blinking all together. I have never noticed the little light before so im not sure if that normal or not. I did check all of the cables/cords ont he inside to make sure that none of them had come loose.

Can anyone tell me what could be wrong with my computer?
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

AOs Resident Troll
    Maybe power supply...\

Or bad cord??

Try a different line cord...(power cord)...may have a short??

I have had power supplies go....

Make sure all cables are plugged in properly...specially monitor, keyboard and mouse??

Some computers will not boot without them..

Also...are there any beeps??

You could pop off the case...and ensure all cables are connected to the board, hardrives etc....although if your not familar with that...you may want help from someone alittle more knowledgable???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I tried a different cord so i know its not that.

My computer has booted before with nothng but the monitor plugged in so its not that, and i did go back and make sure everything of that nature was plugged in

There are no beeps

I did pop the case and make sure everything was plugged in correctly
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi JewishIntent,

You don't get ' beeps '...do you get anything...eg. fans??? Any noise at all???

What system do you have??? details please.

Eg

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...

Sounds like a power supply then.

You said you have just moved....maybe something wrong with the actual wall socket??

Have you tried another location in your house...another wall socket..??

MLF

Ok, my comp is Windows XP sp1, yes i know i really need sp2 but at the moment it doesn't matter. There are no beeps, no nothing. When i said it won't turn on i was being very litteral. There is absolutly no activity when i hit the power button. Nothing happens except that little green light on the back. I would get my computer to react more right now if i were to unplug it and start to poke it with a stick.
    Benjamin Franklin

As for the wall socket it ried pluggin in other things like my monitor and a lamp and they worked fine. I switched out the power cord with my monitor and tried that. My monitor still powers up but i get the same results with the computer so its not a power cord issue or a bad socket.
    Benjamin Franklin

AOs Resident Troll
    Well..if it not proprietary machine like dell\hp etc

Replace your power supply....write all the specs down off the back....and visit your local computer shop...get a new one...you may have to contact the vendor for a dell\hp etc type machine

Pretty straight forward to change....if that doesnt work..... its your board

MLF

Could it be possible that the magnets from the car speakers has some how disturbed the computer?
    Did you happen to drop or bang the computer against anything during the time you removed it from your house, into the car then into friends house?

Is there a Volt switch on the back of the mother board?
    {It should be were you plug the power cord into}
    Have you accidently switched it to the other position?
    If you have then i'd say that you've most likely fried something.

The switch should be on the volt setting that the CPU is.
    For instance for a 500watt then it would be set to 500watts.
    350Watts then the switch would be on 350Watts.
    etc etc

front2back

Well..if it not proprietary machine like dell\hp etc

Replace your power supply....write all the specs down off the back....and visit your local computer shop...get a new one...you may have to contact the vendor for a dell\hp etc type machine

Pretty straight forward to change....if that doesnt work..... its your board
    yes it is my machine, and grrr i was hoping to not have to buy anything to fix it. . . .

Could it be possible that the magnets from the car speakers has some how disturbed the computer?
    No, the computer was transported on the floor in the back seat passenger side so it was not near any of my speakers.

Is there a Volt switch on the back of the mother board?
    {It should be were you plug the power cord into}
    Have you accidently switched it to the other position?
    Yes, and no i didn't switch it on purpose or accident, and that is something i checked before i even oppened the case to check the plugs.

Is there any way to visualy tell if the mobo got fried, like a specific area to look for discoloring or somethig like that?

Can anyone tell me what that little green light i mentioned is?

And is anyone able to tell me if its more likely to be a mobo issue or a power supply issue, i would really hate to get one and realize it was the other that i needed to replace.
    Benjamin Franklin