Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...we cant tell...cause we dont have access to the board...

Are there any fans running when you power up...(or try too)

Power supplies are cheap...compared to a board..

And no...unless you remove the board..and use a good magnifying glass...is will be hard to tell if your board is fried...

Easiest way is to try another power supply...

By the way...power supplies blow all the time

MLF
    edit> if money is an issue...pull a power supply from another computer (friends) and try it...

Check the specs on the back....for compatibility
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well...we cant tell...cause we dont have access to the board...
    O come on I know you guys here all have that super elite extra mega zoomy vision

Are there any fans running when you power up...(or try too)
    No, nothing does anything when i plug it in and try to power up.

By the way...power supplies blow all the time
    Now i know this is isn't the easiest question to answer, but how long on average should a power supply last? My old computer is about 2 years older than this one and its still running fine, well as fine as it can running Windows ME.

Power supplies are cheap...compared to a board..
    While this may be true, i would almost hope it was the mobo and not the ps because i was looking into getting a new computer in the near future anyway, and this way i can just carefully ripp out the ram, hdd, ps,vid card, and anything else that i could/would still use and just buy a new mobo and have an instant franken-pewter.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Is there any way to visualy tell if the mobo got fried, like a specific area to look for discoloring or somethig like that?
    Well when you popped the casing did you happen to notice a Burnt smell. or any wierd smell coming from the inside of the casing?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I am 100% sure it is a power supply problem... let me guess.... you have an HP desktop?? Replace the power supply... I know from experience that power supply with blinking green LED that won't turn on is faulty... In fact I started a thread about this very thing a couple months ago...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Well when you popped the casing did you happen to notice a Burnt smell. or any wierd smell coming from the inside of the casing?
    unfortunatly since my computer was the first thing i started to unpack/setup after the truck was unloaded and returned, gotta have unpacking and furniture arranging tunes, i wouldn't have noticed a smell due to the 3.5 metric **** tons of dust i had been exposed to during the move.

I am 100% sure it is a power supply problem... let me guess.... you have an HP desktop
    Well since it is an HP, see i knew you guys all had the uber vision i mentioned a few posts up, i will then get a new power supply.

Thank you all for the quick responses to my questions.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

hi,
    sry was just reading quickly and maybe somone already mention this but if you have little bit better power supply they have switch on them.is it any chance you bumped this switch and its gone to zero position?
    just my little tought

A few powersupplies have a "safety feature" where if they're unplugged you need to toggle the switch on the back and/or pull the cord out. None of my power supplies needed that, but I knew someone whose supply had that kind of "safety feature" and it was annoying... So just plug it in, rock the switch on the back to off, wait a few secs, rock it on and try. Then maybe unplug, play with the switch, etc. See if that changes anything...

Otherwise open it up and make sure the power button on the front is connected to the right headers on the motherboard. It could be the button worked loose or something...but I'm not exactly sure what's up since I can't physically examine the machine...

A final check?

Do you get lights on your CD, 3.5" floppy or hard drive?..............any noise from the hard drive?

These all get their power direct from the PSU, so if nothing happens then it is almost certainly the PSU that has a problem.

Tim_axe's suggestion is worth a try, I have come across that "feature" before.

I could show this person how to make a dummy load with the 24-pin to cause a loop to see if it's the PSU or not, but someone could get killed. If you can take the PSU out of the case and try it in another box vice versa that would tell you.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Since you have a working power supply in your old computer, perhaps you could use this power supply to test your new mobo. You should be able to narrow down the problem.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com