Thread: Windows Defender

Windows Defender

Well it seems that Microsoft has decided on naming it's Antispyware tool ... It will be part of the upcoming Vista release.

The tool, designed to protect PCs against hidden software, has been renamed "Windows Defender" and is getting a new look as well as capabilities to detect rootkits, keystroke loggers and other threats. The news of the revamp came Friday in a posting to a new Microsoft corporate blog dealing with malicious software.
    Full story Here

Sounds more like a cartoon hero name to me ... Windows Defender ... Defender of the weak ...mmmmh are they reffering to something

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I surprise myself even writing this but, I have MS Antispyware and i like it! lol there i said it anyway i dont know how the new OS is gonna be yet but, I for one use MS AntiSpyware,Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy and between all those my pc stays clean as a whistle.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Talking

I'm with The Texan, I have been using it for a while now along with Spybot and Adaware and haven't had any issues and it seems to work really well.

Still, I am an aware internet user that is security concious and concious of what I surf - the bigger test would be to give it to my brother-in-law (or another non aware family member) let them surf to all the crap they surf to and see how it goes then.

Still, I am an aware internet user that is security concious and concious of what I surf - the bigger test would be to give it to my brother-in-law (or another non aware family member) let them surf to all the crap they surf to and see how it goes then
    I installed it on my in-laws' pc ... they surf also to alot of those crap games sites and others with lot's of nice advertising and spyware thingies.

It works reasonably well, the only problem related to my in-laws is the pop-ups from this "defender" ... they always click yes if the pop-up shows itself asking what to do wit a "threath", without reading the text ...so in that respect I should think ...does it actualy help... and to be clear they are NOT admin on their box and even with all the protection they still manage to get "some" spy and malware on it...albeit being it much less then before.

Ok it will stop most of the crap but if the user is not "aware" or doesn't understand the software that is installed to protect them, then what ?

I'm sure in the future there will be programs that are more "automatic", but then the problem is that you might not have enough control

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.