Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Troubles

Internet Troubles

I'm using XP Pro SP2

Here's my problem:

I take my laptop around a lot. I bring it to school; work and of course back home. When I go home, I'm unable to connect to the internet.
    I've done the following:
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushnds
    ipconfig /registerdns

all were successful and I was able to obtain an ip address from my router.

I logged on my router and released and renewed the public IP, successful
    I checked my LAN connections and my laptop was visible.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled my NIC card.
    Turned off my modem for a minute and rebooted my computer
    deleted cookies/ internet files/ all that good stuff
    I was able to ping my ip address
    ping the router's private ip

I also tried statically entering in the DNS closest DNS servers on the local loop, still didn't work.

I have also tried connecting through my wireless card (it's a wireless router), still didn't work
    I logged into the router and was still able to be authenticated by my router.

I have my TCP/IP settings to obtain an IP address automatically; obtain DNS Server address automatically and my alternate is set to automatic private ip address.

I can't think of anymore ideas.

BTW, at work now with the same settings and my laptop works fine. (wireless and hardware NIC)

warriorfan808

You can ping the internal side of the router, but can you ping past it? Try pinging the routers external IP, and then the routers gateway.

have you tried power cycling the router? what kind of router is it? can the other computers connected to the router connect to the internet? can you ping ip addresses outside of your network? do you have any firewall software running on the laptop? is your router a firewall also?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

I could ping the external ip address of the router and tracert to it, but it seems to take a long time. It's a router/modem. I powered it off for 30 seconds or so and then turned it back on.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for posting in the operating systems portion. I figured it would have something to do with XP Pro

AOs Resident Troll
    Check your IE tools>Internet optios>connections>Lan setup...may be looking for a proxy...remove everything try that and\or set to automatically detect.

Remember to close ie and reopen...for the new settings to take affect

How about pinging\tracert to google or something..does that work??

Is this a cable connection...maybe a MAC address issue

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Banned
    reinstall the TCPIP stack

disable any firewalls

check the cable

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help.

I already went through Internet Explorer Tools. The cable is fine. In fact, I can't even connect using my wireless card.

I can ping the private ip on the NIC, private IP on the router, public IP on the router and then I stop at trying to ping the DNS servers.

Looks like a DNS issue. I just don't know what to do from here. I tried manually entering in the DNS server ip addresses; flushing dns, nothing.

I also brought laptop back to work today and was able to connect. I even went as far as bringing my workstation from work home with me to see if it could pick up an ip address. It could pick it up, but not ping the dns servers.

I've done everything mentioned but reinstall the TCP/IP stack. I'll do that now.

AOs Resident Troll
    Reset your dns on your router.....to a valid dns server..isps change them occassionly..and forget to tell the customer

Cause if you are getting your dhcp addy from your router...that is where you should be getting your dns settings from......not your computer

Then reset everything....just to make sure..

Rule of thumb...reset starting closet to the wall\dmark for connection..
    meaning..modem(usually supplied\configured by the isp), router, computer..

See if that works

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by warriorfan808
    I can ping the private ip on the NIC, private IP on the router, public IP on the router and then I stop at trying to ping the DNS servers.

Looks like a DNS issue.
    If you ping an IP address then DNS has nothing to do with it.. Concentrate on basic IP.. Get that working first then worry about DNS..

When you renew the public IP on the router, you get an IP address, subnetmask and a default gateway?.. Try pinging the default gateway.. If that doesn't work then there must be something wrong with your cable/dsl provider.. Call them..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Set the dns server to the internal IP of your router.

Try ping www.google.co.uk

if it fails you dns may not be working:

Try ping 66.102.9.147

if that fails you isp may be blocking pings try entering
    directly into your browser & see if it connects to google.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com