Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cell number lookup

cell number lookup

If I get a call that has no name , How can I find out who it is calling ? I would like to have a name to go with the number before I answer any calls.

It is myself calling on behalf of the IRS..................the FBI and Secret Service are listening in

Try wearing a tinfoil hat?

Let me try to help you out a little better then nihil did...

Long answer:
    Unfortunatly, there is no simple way to retrieve the name associated with an incoming call if there is no caller ID. If your only getting partial information about the call, like the number, then you could do a reverse lookup on it to get the associated name (Personally, I think this would be a real pain, by the time you found it the caller would probally have hung up!). And this is only a partial solution, because not all numbers are listed...Anytime a call is made, it is routed thru several different carriers, and if a single one of them chooses not to support Caller ID and parse it, then you'll never who's calling...Also I wouldn't depend to much on Caller ID being correct, it can faked by those with the skills.

Short Answer:
    No...

Short Answer: No...
    Let me try to help you out a little better then nihil did...
    Yeah well I was just wondering ...how is your answer different (except for some sarcasm) then that of nihil.

If the dude or lady is smart enough they will grasp it ... hence the smiley on the end of the thread.

If you can read between the lines ... the answer of nihil is exactly the same as yours ... I think ...

I'll have to get myself a tin foil hat now ...

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

I preferred my answer

1. Stolen
    2. Borrowed
    3. Second User
    4. Bought for cash & "pay as you go"?

The real answer is make sure YOU don't give YOUR cell number to dip$h1ts you don't want to talk to?

Or buy a roll of baking foil?

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I registered my cell phone with the 'Do Not Call Registry' - it's free, so why not?

National Do Not Call Registry

You can also just pre-program the numbers you trust and set them to specific rings. That way if you get the default-I-didn't-program-your-number-ring then you know not to answer.

I hate phones...and door bells.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

I had a similar problem a few months ago, only it was calls in the middle of the night, and since I don't have a phone which allows different ringtones for different caller groups, and several rather aged relatives, I answered. Considering I had VERY early morning shifts those days, I was not a happy camper, but it stopped on its own.

As for giving it out, you might give it to someone you think is fine, but then THEY might give it to someone who sucks.

The only way to truly avoid such calls: Never get a phone
    \"The future stretches out before us, uncharted. Find the open road and look back with a sense of wonder. How pregnant this moment in time. How mysterious the path ahead. Now, step forward.\"
    Phillip Toshio Sudo, Zen Computer
    Have faith, but lock your door.

Originally posted here by WolfRune
    The only way to truly avoid such calls: Never get a phone
    Yeah, I was thinking of that. But, I think it is too late.

What's tin foil going for in your neighborhood, nihil?

Smile

Hi,

I suggest you give your Cellular Provider a call and asking them, as they can easily
    fix that problem if or when they want probably for an extra fee.

This is how it may or I think work, the number that's calling passes through different cell sites or networks before reaching your screen, that gives them the chance to scan that number against any matching directory listing they would have in their system and sends that name to your screen along with the number.

Cheers,
    B.B

Originally posted here by rbooth007
    If I get a call that has no name , How can I find out who it is calling ? I would like to have a name to go with the number before I answer any calls.
    People think they're invisible sometimes.....ha..........go read the TFM before you mess with me.
    *67 is a joke.... there are only a few ways to make anonymous calls and almost all of them bow down to the subpoena. I can make a call and give whatever ID I want with a simple succession of keys. It's all about how sophisticated you are when trying to make anonymous calls.

Most tracking services charge a small fee to do a look up on numbers or records, usually under a dollar a call. On the rare occasion, I block them and then put them on a remote fax machine, and have it autodial there ass 24-7-365.