Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So...you want to lose a few pounds...eh?

So...you want to lose a few pounds...eh?

So...sitting on your butt in the IT department has made you put on a few pounds and made you...errrrr...fat...errrr...obese...errrr...heavy-set...errrrr...large boned...whatever...a cure is just around the corner ...

ntroducing: obestatin, a newly discovered hormone that suppresses appetite.

The finding, to be published in the Nov. 11 issue of Science, offers a key to researchers developing treatments for obesity. In a nation that desperately needs to slim down - the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates 65 percent of Americans over the age of 20 are either overweight or obese - obestatin is likely to generate interest from scientists and drugmakers alike.

The research was sponsored by Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research & Development, LLC, which has certain license rights to the discovery.

Researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine uncovered obestatin by using the principles of evolution to pick clues from data held in the Human Genome Project, as well as the genome sequencing projects for many other organisms, among them, yeast, fruit flies and mice.

"Darwin led us to this new hormone," said senior author Aaron Hsueh, PhD, an endocrinologist and professor of obstetrics and gynecology. Jian V. Zhang, PhD, a postdoctoral scholar in Hsueh's laboratory, is the lead author.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1112124759.htm
    Stanford Scientists' Discovery Of Hormone Offers Hope For Obesity Drug

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Why not just eat healthy, eat smaller portions and exercise more?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi MsM,

I knew a guy that did that once...too bad he got hit by a car. Eating healthy didn't make him live any longer Why spend your life depriving yourself of the joy of eating?

Eg

Alright...where is Galdron when you need him?...the house Chef must be heard!

hormones are not something to play with, I won't be eating pills or whatever that play with my hormones, this is my own belief. I'd rather go to the gym and exercise severely {and die there} over treating fatness with homones.

MsM's point sounds great, eat less and exercise more....

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Yeah, like THAT'S gonna happen

bring on the pills
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

It all comes down to how much you want it. Its a simple problem,

eat more + doing less = fat (or what ever you want to sugar coat it as)

so then

eat less/the same amount = less fat

just increase your output, decrease your input or sustane the input and your set. Basicly chips and office chairs dont mix, no matter how much we love them
    meh. -ech0.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I'm only going to eat it when it's called McStatin and comes super sized with fries.

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Exactly.

I did gain quite a bit of weight over the past couple of years. 3 months ago, I finally had enough of it. I was having a hard time tying my shoes, and I felt a lot of things shaking when I was going up and down stairs. I had to get rid of the flab.

I started exercising 6 days a week. I do 1-2hrs of cardio 6 days and weights + cardio 2 days. I went from 180lbs to 155lbs and I've gained some muscle. I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm well on my way.

I found it quite difficult to do all the cardio because I was a smoker. So, I quit smoking too. I'm going on my thrid week of not smoking and I haven't cheated once! In order to quit smoking, I had to quit coffee and alcohol though... for me, they go hand in hand.

I've been real irritable... but I haven't cheated. When I want a smoke, I do situps, or push ups or go for a brisk walk or whatever. Though... now I am ALWAYS hungry. I'm burning way more calories than I'm taking in... hense, burning fat.
    Anyway, I hope I can keep it up.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    I swear, people need to realize getting the heart rate up and drinking the recommended amount of water a day is the key to losing weight. Unfortunately that cost time, which is something a lot of Americans can't spare while being a slave to the dollar. At the very top is stress, which only compounds our nations problem. Eating healthy with the two main keys will greatly accelerate the weight losing process. With a lot of these "diet trends" they leave out water and exercise.

edit########

Congrats on not smoking

I gained some weight to after i quit smoking 2,5 years ago. Me too i started to cycle more and eat less,
    It works and rewards the hard work. But even i still have 5 kgs to go i never ever want to smoke again and go back to what i used to do. Smoking makes you lazy.

Anyway, phish congratz and keep up the good work. I find all that the best choice in my life atm ... Its really worth it.
    One thing that helped me quitting was telling myself the next line over and over again. "You don't lose something (your cig, your buddy), you gain something (your health and overall fitness).

Cheers,