Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So...you want to lose a few pounds...eh?

I swear, people need to realize getting the heart rate up and drinking the recommended amount of water a day is the key to loosing weight
    Thats how I'm doing it. I'm going through about 4 or 5 40oz bottles of water a day. I replaced coffee and soda with water. I'm not eating fried foods and only eating lean meats and lots of veggies. I haven't eaten fast food once. I'm laying off white breads and pasta and now eating wheat breads and pasta. I think it even tastes better... Oh, and I even started taking vitamins, creatine and lots of protein for the energy and fast repair of muscles.

I wish I had taken before and after photos. Though, its still not too late. I still hve about 2 inches to loose on my waist. I was up to a 36 inch waist! Now, my 34s are baggy! lol I can see all the wear marks in my belt. I'm going down a notch no my belt every couple of weeks.

I'm getting a lot of complements on how I look better. But, I'm also getting a lot of sh17 from my friends because I can't go out to drink. They are mostly smokers and drinkers, so I'm staying away for now.

However, I'm having a lot more trouble sleeping at night now. I often get headaches from not smoking and no caffiene. Excedrin helps becuase it has caffiene... but its not the same.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. They are certainly needed and appreciated.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

But, I'm also getting a lot of sh17 from my friends because I can't go out to drink. They are mostly smokers and drinkers, so I'm staying away for now.

phishphreek80

Keep at it, I quit the tobacco 7yrs ago after smoking for at least (from 12 to 43 = 31 yrs), I have felt great since. Eating was a problem at first but it's amazing what sunflower seeds will do for you (saltless of course).

I found that the best way to avoid the dreaded beer at lunch (because everyone knows that you must have a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other, or else you end up picking your nose or something like that) with your alpos was to bury myself in work, until the urges disappeared.Also doesn't hurt to get good support from friends.

Eventually it does get better.

As for losing weight, I figure with the amount of money that has been invested into my gut, I would rather not lose it, thank you very much.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Yeah, dropping that bread will work wonders, especially if you're big on bread. I can't spell losing worth a crap today. Any way I've been losing a little weight do to more running. That's my deal until I recover from a shoulder injury.

My specs:
    Meso-Ectomorph
    Height: 6' 2"
    Weight: 198 lbs
    Shoulders: 52 ½"
    Reach: 76 ¼"
    Chest: 48"
    Biceps: 17 ½"
    Forearms: 14"

I've been getting advice from a buddy for a few years now.
    http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4343/18eu.jpg

As you can see his workout routine on his arms is impressive.

edit##########

Remeber muscles have memory.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ok, here we go - A thread to which I can relate.

In april of 2003 I was involved in an incident which left me severely injured in my lower spine and in need of 3 surgeries.

2 years later after doing nothing but sitting on my arse, having the occasional surgeries, and drinking dr pepper I'd gained 60 lbs.

So, last July when the doc released me to return to work I started the new chapter in my life called 'lose it all, fatboy' -

1. I now allow myself 1 (that's one 12 oz) dr pepper per day, period. I usually have it just before lunch.

2. I don't eat any less than I did before. Not being big on snacks, I'm eating only at mealtimes, and eating enough to get full. I *DO* pay attention to what I eat however. Being a basic carnivore, my preferred diet is meat, potatos, and bread. I now incorporate less meat and more fresh vegetables, especially of the green, leafy variety and celery.

3. I drink at least 2 gallons of water per day, one glass at a time. This has the additional effect of flushing years of built-up toxins out of my system.

4. (And MOST important!) I EXERCISE. I walk at least 5 miles per day, and try to jog at least 1 or 2 of it. I can't do sit-ups, but I can do leg extensions - so my abs get a good 30 minute workout every day. Pushups, and light weightlifting (bench-press, military press, curls, tricep extensions) keep my upper body in decent form and help me lose the man-breasticles.

So far I've lost 25 of those 60lbs and I'm not quitting until I hit 100lbs lost, which would put me at my old post-bootcamp 'fighting weight'.

What's next to conquer? Quitting smoking. I've gotta get my wind up so I can run all 5 of those miles I walk instead of only 1 or 2/5ths of it. I've also got to quit because of my heart. Most of all, I want to quit so I can live long enough to see my daughter graduate college and grow old with my wife.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

What's next to conquer? Quitting smoking. I've gotta get my wind up so I can run all 5 of those miles I walk instead of only 1 or 2/5ths of it. I've also got to quit because of my heart. Most of all, I want to quit so I can live long enough to see my daughter graduate college and grow old with my wife.
    Thats probably going to be the hardest. I've tried cold turkey... doesn't work for me. Maybe I don't have the will power. I'm now doing the patches. I just got one week worth to test and make sure I could make it the week. After the first week, the second was "easy". I have enough patches to last me another 3 weeks. The bad part... it cost me about $150 for 5 weeks... Which is you smoke a pack a day... at $4/pack (they're $3 here) then it only cost you another $10.

I'm going to try and drop the patch in five weeks... but i'm still on the highest nicotine patch. I have to phase that down the next two weeks and then maybe I'll jump to the lowest patch. I just don't want to rush it. They say you should be on step 1 for 6-7 weeks... I'm doing it in 3. Then step 2 for 2 weeks and then step 3 for 2 weeks. Hope it works. If not... I'll get the higher patches.

I'm using a firefox extention "quitomzilla" and a stand alone "quitkeeper" program to keep track of how much I have not smoked, how much $ I've "saved" and how much life I've saved. Though, since I'm on the patch... I really haven't saved anything. I've spent more. But my taste and smell is sharper than I can ever remember. Not to mention... I don't smell like an ashtray! I didn't realize how much you "stink" when you smoke.

I rewarded myself early and got a 20gig mp3 player (RCA LYRA) for $125 from KMart for when I'm doing cardio. It REALLY does help. It has a 10hr battery and it is rechargable. Not to mention, it has a FM tuner. Not as nice of a UI as the iPod, but I couldn't bring myself to spend $300 on an ipod that had less features and no accessories. My LYRA came with 3 chargers (AC to DC converter for wall, DC adapter for car, and USB for the comptuer.

I know I should have waited to reward myself... but I needed it for exercise. I was getting bored on the ski machine, eliptical, jogging, roller blading, etc. I'm doing just about every exercise you can think of at the moment.

!mitationRust: Is that you in that PIC? Or you buddy? My goal is not to get anywhere near that... just bulk up a bit. I wouldn't mind the chest and abs, but I don't want the arms and shoulders that big. We'll see how I feel in a couple of months. Right now, I've been happy with the results I've been seeing the past 3 months.

Remeber muscles have memory.
    What do you mean by that? My workout has been this:

Monday: Cardio (rollerblade/walk&jog/ski machine and/or eliptical)
    Tusday: Cardio (ski machine and/or eliptical) and weights (incline/flatbench press, military press, butterflies (dumbells), situps (floor, ab lounge and ab slide), biceps (dumbells), triceps(dumbells and lat bar), squats (dumbells))
    Wednesday: Same as Monday
    Thursday: Same as Tuesday
    Friday: Same as Monday + Shoulder and Back on "Total Gym"
    Saturday: Same as Monday+ Shoulder and Back on "Total Gym"
    Sunday: Rest

I'm taking creatine every day and I have a weight gainer drink before my weight workouts. Then a protein shake after all of my workouts. Cardio and weights.

Vitamins: GNC Pro Gold or whatever. They're in the car... Take them in the morning and before my workout.
    I'm using GNC's creatine.
    I'm using Cryo Gainer by Muscle Milk for the gainer.
    Muscle Milk protein.
    No fat burners.

My diet thus far:

Morning: Granolla bar
    Morning Snack: Dried Fruit and Mixed Nuts
    Lunch: Campbells Select Soup (switch between different flavors/types)
    Afternoon Sanck: Dried Fruit and Mixed Nuts
    Dinner: Chicken/Tuna/Turkey/Steak/Lean Beef (hamburger) & Mixed Vegtables or Salad and a Fruit
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Ha........ wait until you get addicted to fitness and water. I'm roiling when I don't get my sets in. It started with the 24hr gym, and then I picked up enough equipment to start my own regular gym. I still go to the gym because we have one less than a mile away. I only run in there because they have mad college girls and MILFs on the aerobic equipment 24-7. I use some of their concentrated equipment too, some equipment one just can't afford. Just wait, you'll be addicted before next summer!

No that's my buddy in the picture; he's been lifting for years. He just got back from Iraq not too long ago. I think those are 22" pipes on him, maybe more.

Here's me a few years back, this is when I was comparing my pipes to his. I've since repaired that RIP tattoo: http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/1347/18zg1.jpg

When I hurt my shoulder I knew exactly what I did, and I knew right then how long it would screw me. I was trying to get the under side of my pecs a little more mass. I was doing a decline press with 60lb. dumbbells after I was finished I sat up and went to set one of them down and I felt a very slight awkward feeling in my shoulder. That's why it is so crucial to follow through with good form even when laying the weights down. I rested for a week and just ran, it hurt a little on cross-country and on the treadmill. I knew it was bad when I went to do my twenty pull ups and I couldn't complete ten. I'm still doing physical therapy to get back at my full routine.

When I said muscle memory I meant this. http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...cle-memory.htm

I used to be big into supplements........ whey shakes..... I really love Twin Labs amino fuel anabolic liquid ( it can really rebuild) I drink lemonade too, it's good for the prostate.

I'm not really on a strict diet. I used to be on just egg whites, rice cakes, whey and red meat. I still eat rice cakes and peanut butter. I have an extremely high metabolism so I eat what I want.

As long as you don't forget about the bonuses that come with working out... the young tenders are why I'm in the game.

If you really want to lose some weight, try the meth diet! You can lose 15 pounds in 2 days, guaranteed!
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Yeah, until you're addicted and clear **** starts to bubble out your lips and face. Then it's your teeth......... you'll come out of that diet looking like a hype.

I didn't know that muscles have a "memory". That could explain why I'm seeing the results I've been seeing lately. I used to work out often, but then I fell off for quite a few months. I lost all my mass and put on quite a bit of flab. I was surprised to see such quick results. Guess I now know why... kind of depressing...

What do you guys use to track your workouts and progress? I have been working on an Excel type tracking workbook?

Also - for my diet, which I am working on refining, still consists of some bread - Sara Lee 100%Multigrain - for the bread. My favorite breakfast setup is a reduced fat peanut butter/honey/bread or peanut butter/banana/bread sandwich with some skim milk.

Also - I saw on Spike TV that one of the supplment brand they are pushing is Xyience: http://www.xyience.com/ - any try that stuff.

Multivitamin - GNC "Megaman" - but I still can't fly or change out my arms for guns yet.

phishphreek80, !mitationRust and |3lack|ce - congrats on your progress so far - reading this thread just motivated my ass to make sure I stay on track so I can see results like you guys! I noticed that when I got out of the service I put on the pounds - now it is taking more effort than ever to take them off and swearing off the junk - but it's a coming. Thanks!

P.S. - One thing I did start back up again to change up the workouts - and add to them was to restart study in Shorin Ryu Karate. Great exercise and stress relief. Starting up with yoga again as well.
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.