Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: free computer anyone?

free computer anyone?

does anyone know where i could get a free box. i've been looking everywhere and cant find one. Ive gotten a couple but they arent network worthy (one doesnt even start, burnt out processor) and i dont have money to buy one. I was planning on starting a server for my personal network, and possibly branch out later once its established to hosting. It would be dead useful as im learning programming and ive written a couple of network apps and services but cant really deploy them full time to see how well they run. There are a million things i would like to do with it, but none of them would really take up to many resources. In essence all i need is something with processor, RAM, motherboard, and preferrably a compatible networking card with linux (i have a card made for or by microsoft). I also have hard/cd/floppy drives and casing. I've looked at my school where i TA for the IT but they are 'using' (probably about 30 sitting around waiting for me to swap one of them out when the IT or i dont have time to fix one right away) all of them. Looked at parents work and what not but im basically waiting for one of my sources to buy new computers. If you have any ideas or sources it would be much appreciated, thnx in advance

Go to your local computer shops, generally when customers upgrade, they {The computer shop} throw the old computer out, so instead of shop having to pay to get them disposed of. They usually let you take what you want for free.

Either that or try dumpster diving for parts..
    Not the best way to get it for free, but when situations are hard, you gotta try every option...

front2back

Ive gotten a couple but they arent network worthy
    Can I have those please.

I also have a condition very similar to yours. In my school also there is a bunch of computers not being used. Infact every class has two-three computers and atleast one of them is kept as a antique show-piece. I asked my computer teacher if he can give me some instead of throwing away. He said, I'll think about that

Anyways, google is your friend.

- :S:
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

Try Progressive(Car Insurance Company with a HUGE IT department, i took a tour once) if you have one in the area. They upgrade often and donate old computers, laptops etc to school, tell them you're going to college and don't have money to buy one right now or something.
    O.G at A.O

thnx everyone, that was helpful, ive been looking for a couple of months and been basically told ill think about it or wait until later, now i have somewhere new to look should i ask a local university? i live by one and im not sure if they would have some extras or whether they would tell me to get lost or not. What about public schools near by? I googled and it looked like there were a lot of schools looking for computers not throwing them away.

Old Fart
    I caught the local branch of the state dept for rehabilitative services having an auction a few months ago....bought 4 p-IIIs w/monitors for $20.00. Unfortunately I got rid of my last 2 just a week or so ago...if only you had asked earlier....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Hmm that a bit crap but there is a reason why you can't get anything.

A lot of the companies/schools that would have given away their old kit won't now because too many people have tried to sue them for when the kit has gone wrong. You know cut themselves on a burr in the case or the PSU has blown and they've claimed for their kitchen burning down.

I think in the UK even if you give away a pc the donator has to ensure that the machine is safe and servicable and provide a minimal warranty for it. So it's becomes cheaper and 'safer' to dump the machines rather than give them away. Stupid but true.

Your best bet will be from a private individual or to pick up a few broken machines and patch a working one together.

Could you not do a few spyware cleanups for cash then get a cheap machine from the local newapaper? A lot of people throw machines away thinking they are brken when it's just software problems.

Hi Aspman

I think in the UK even if you give away a pc the donator has to ensure that the machine is safe and servicable and provide a minimal warranty for it. So it's becomes cheaper and 'safer' to dump the machines rather than give them away. Stupid but true.
    Two thoughts:

1. I do some refurbs for a charity. We are given stuff "as seen" for refurbishment. That means that the donor is not liable, as they did not imply that the device was either functional or safe. A bit like sending a vehicle to a scrapyard?

2. Just supply the box with the memory strips in an antistatic bag......................as soon as they pop the case any warranty would be voided?

I am aware that Scottish law is a bit different, but you have no difficulty in selling second user vehicles in an unroadworthy, untested state.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Got to admit I'm not fully versed in this but reasons I outlined were those I've heard for some Public organisations not donating kit. It all goes to recycling companies who are paid to decommission the kit and take on the risk of reselling it.

It's quite possible the fear of litigations rather than a true ruling of law that makes companies do this.

Yes, I think that the "secret" is that we take them on as a "box of bits" rather than a "computer" (fully functional device). Well there have been no problems here so far...............and I must say that the refuse collection gentlemen have always been very helpful (to me personally).............not only do they collect, they also deliver