Thread: another bizzare problem

another bizzare problem

I don't wanna come off as a leech and non-contributor but I have another bizarre f-ing problem that I don't know what to do w/. I was fixing this girls HP pavilion. (For money) and I had to replace a soundcard. The problem is that the original soundcard had a plug, which then divided into stereo cables Right/Left AND SUBWOOFER. Now the freaking sound is all distorted as if the speakers were torn. I think it's because the plug that goes into the computer is different then the new soundcard and somehow mixes the woofer signal w/ speaker signal. Has anyone heard of something like this? Does anyone know about a plug converter? The f-ing speakers are built into the monitor and they are huge.. I know HP does this on purpose so they can charge for service themselves ... See if I'll recommend them ever..

Pls help
    UNIX IS user friendly, it\'s just very choosy about who it calls a friend.

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

I would suggest that you disconnect the woofers and see if that is the problem first. If that doesn't fix the problem, then you might have an incompatible sound card or a bad connection with the sound card. If they are the problem, then you have the option of leaving them unconnected or finding another way of providing them the signal they need.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

You might try testing the soundcard with a pair of stereo headphones.

Damn, where is my head today....thats even simpler. Thanks Johnno, I needed that, heh heh heh.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Kosmograd,

What is the make and model of the new sound card?

What happened to the old one?

If it passes the headphones test then try wiggling the speaker jack plug in and out. I have known that to solve problems

Does the new card have the same number of plug sockets as the old one?

http://tigerdirect.partsearch.com/Pr...ModelID=302727

That looks like a pretty standard 1/8" connection to me.

Hey nihil ... man ... how did you found that ... that is the exact jack that i have problem with

yes it works w/ the head phones ...

i wiggled it ... and nada...

it's gotta be the jack... if it's standard (as you say) where is the siganl for the woofer go in??
    UNIX IS user friendly, it\'s just very choosy about who it calls a friend.

Originally posted here by Kosmograd
    Hey nihil ... man ... how did you found that ... that is the exact jack that i have problem with

yes it works w/ the head phones ...

i wiggled it ... and nada...

it's gotta be the jack... if it's standard (as you say) where is the siganl for the woofer go in??
    DON'T YOU KNOW THAT NIHIL IS THE AO WEBSTER HERE
    HE CAN GIVE YOU ALL THE ANSWER...

Kosmograd: My guess is the old sound card is set for surround souns, check in the sound cards setup program i may be able to do surouand sound as wel, if not well you are SOL adn need to look for a diferent sound card.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

I think that bballad may be onto something?

If you look at the picture, the blue jack plug goes into the sound card audio out. Looking at the other end there are two jack plug sockets for left and right speakers. (marked in white and red)

I would guess that the bulge at the other end is where the Woofer fits.

Now, this is where I think you have a problem..............that connector looks way too bulky to me, I suspect that it is a signal splitter ($20 for a refurb seems to confirm that?) It is quite probable that your new audio card just cannot communicate with the speakers via this cable.

What is the make and model of the new card?