Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: urgent

Exclamation urgent

Ok here's the thing, after coming home from the gym, my friend calls me to tell me that the 128MB RAM stick he orded had arrived and if I can go install it. I can't resist an offer to fix a computer, so I shower and go. He had 2 old RAM sticks, a 64mb and a 128mb. So after figuring out (or guessing) which was the 64mb one, I install it. So far, so good. When it boots up I see 256mb so im like 'woot', then I see the WinXP logo so I go "wooot!" Then I see a blue screen..It's a screen I get sometimes anyways so I dont make anything of it. It was a physical memory dump, I figure that it was clearing (?) the old memory stick or whatever. Then after restarting I get "Error loading Operating system" Still, I'm calm, no biggie I think and reboot. Same error..I check the BIOS, nothing wrong to my eyes. So I install the old, 64mb again..I get a Memory decrease thing, but go into the setup and do nothing, save and it fixes itself lol..but still I get the error..I txt Memory or Copyright, pointless, just wasted like 30 cents..in conclusion HELP! lol im stumped..I would like to avoid installing XP again at all costs if possible..
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hi

Did you worked in a moist or humid environment? This once happened to my friend and it fixed itself. The thing is that there was moisture in the RAM and so it stopped working. He kept it outside the CPU and when the moisture dried off it worked fine.

You can try this !!
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

I get "Error loading Operating system"
    Mmmmh...me thinks you're screwed ...whenever I get that error I know I'm screwed.

What you could do is check if the HDD is still connected ok ? (Cables removed by accident when inserting the ram)

Or

reset the bios to factory settings ...maybe it got screwed up by the faulty ram (maybe that ram is another speed 100Mhz instead of 133Mhz or vice versa.

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Hi Raion,

Hope this helps..

Solution:

The computers BIOS does not support the computer hard disk drives size or settings

This issue is often caused when the BIOS does not properly detect the hard disk drive. To resolve this issue update the computer motherboards BIOS. Additional information and help with upgrading the BIOS can be found on document CH000236.

Computer Hard disk drive is not properly setup in CMOS

Verify that the computers hard disk drive is properly setup in CMOS setup. Additional information about getting into CMOS setup can be found on document CH000192.

Once in CMOS verify the below hard disk drive settings.

1. Verify the hard disk drive is detected.
    2. Try changing the "Access mode" on the hard disk drive to "Large" or "LBA". This setting may vary depending on the type of BIOS.

Issue with drives partitions

This issue can be cause if the disk drives are not properly setup or have been changed by another program such as a utility that comes with a Linux distribution. To resolve this issue delete all and recreate all the partitions before running the Windows XP setup.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000730.htm
    CH000730: Error loading Operating System after Windows XP setup.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326676&sd=RMVP
    "Error Loading Operating System" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer During Setup

I'd have to go with cemetric on this one, i am thinking that maybe the stick of Ram is of the wrong speed.

some motherboards only take a certain stick of Ram, ie: certain speed's
    while some older ones can take both types and run reasonably well..

I say that because i have a old box and it is running on 256 at 133mhz, and another stick of 256 that is running at 100mhz.

I txt Memory or Copyright, pointless, just wasted like 30 cents..
    When are you gonna learn that memory don't know shiat when it comes to computers..

cheers
    front2back:.

When are you gonna learn that memory don't know shiat when it comes to computers..
    Um Yea, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with that statement....

Actually, The Post check performed at startup checks for memory. However, all the check does is verify that memory is there. If the speed/type listed in BIOS is different than what is in the slot, BIOS does not know.

Now when windows starts up it runs off and grabs a block of memory. It asks the BIOS where and what and BIOS replies. Then when Windows get the memory address of say SDRAM from BIOS but it's actually DDRAM STOMP !!! Blue Screen.

So with the original memory in the PC, boot into bios and reset the bios setting to factory default or last configuration if the option is there. Let us know

Dino

Edit: Oh and remember - Friday is Hawaiian shirt day

Second Edit: You meant MemorY not memory - Not enough coffee yet
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Ok, RAM speed isn't an issue in my opinion since even when I use the old RAM stick, the one that it had when it was working fine, I still get the error. So that is ruled out.

Secondly, I'm probably gonna try what it says on those links Eg, thanks..but the thing is that it was working before, so I don't know if that will fix it..

Thirdly, I didn't even go near the HD. It's one of those crappy Dell computers where the HD is against the wall of the case, and you need to remove the front and the side to remove it.

Finally, I was desperate when I txt'ed MemorY, and I figured that he had installed RAM sticks on a lot of computerse before, and might've encountered this problem himself..needless to say I was wrong..but after .30, and one stupid post, I've realized that MemorY probably doesn't know about computers :P
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Sorry for the double post..

im at my friends house right now, i've determined that the new RAM stick doesn't want to work on the system i always get a BSOD when I use the new one. Probably the RAM speed. But there's still a problem. I have both HDs connected. However, I can't seem to access the other one, it asks me if I want to format it now...? When I try to defrag it, it doesn't detect it..? I confused..

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    do you have two HDD's in your friends PC ?

disconnect the HDD that does NOT have the OS on, one step at a time .....
    double check the connections to the [OS loaded] HDD
    fit the original RAM [are you saying it was a stick of 128 AND a stick of 64 ?] means it's SDR
    DDR likes matched pairs .........

you might like to send up a prayer to St Bill about now

switch on again .........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hmmm,

To get DDR or SDR to go into the other's slot, generally takes a pretty big hammer

Will it boot from a CD or floppy? It sound to me as if the BIOS is corrupted................I have used incompatible memory to exploit that little vulnerability in the past and circumvent BIOS password protection I would try to flash the BIOS.

you might like to send up a prayer to St Bill about now
    God appears to the Pope and Bill Gates in a dream, and says: "look lads, the World is going to end on thursday"

The Pope calls his cardinals together and says :"I have some good news and some great news. Firstly God exists, secondly we all go to heaven on thursday"

Bill Gates calls his staff together and says "I have some good news and some great news. Firstly God thinks that I am important, secondly we won't have to finish Longhorn/Vista"