Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can this be done??

Can this be done??

Hi peeps

the other day i was thinking of stopping piracy after being negged by many users over my last post, which was !!

Wat I was thinkin was can there be a webpage, which cant be pirated?? As you know, many people use the yahoo page as the fake login to get login information out of people n then harming them by leaking their information. So, i was think can anything be done, so that no one is able to view the source code from any computer, except from the PC where the webpage was created!!!

U know, if this is possible, I think it'll be one of the breakthroughs in both fields - anti-piracy and anti-hacking/cracking.

Tell if some work has been already done, do pass me the links to the related information!!
    CodeNameVirus

No, it can't be done, not the way the web is designed. When you "view"
    a web page you are not "looking" at it the way you look at a sign on the
    highway. Your computer downloads the page and you view your own copy.

Personally, I would be alarmed and dismayed if they did develop a technology
    that prevented you from seeing the source HTML. There are evil villains in
    government and the computer industry who wish they could reinvent the
    internet (and the PC) so that you could "view" things without really having
    possession or control of the content. They want this power so that they
    can distribute music and movies with copy-protection. You could "see"
    it but not keep a copy.

The internet is an open protocol, based on a "good neighbor" policy.
    As it stands today, if you can see or hear something, you already
    have a copy.

So there is no technological way to prevent someone from putting up
    a fake Paypal site up to steal information. Common sense and normal
    law enforcement can do the job, if we don't panic, seeking miracles
    that may have evil side effects.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Thank you rcgreen for your explanation on how it can't be done (because it can't). However, I'd recommend for the future, codenamevirus, that you not whine about past/present AP problems. Just a word of advice..
    Space For Rent.. =]

ummm actually there is sort of a way of doing it using software which 'encrypts' the source like :

http://www.tagslock.com/

this turns the HTML into a non-human readable form making it harder for people to rip off your code. Your browser can still read/render it - but your average person will not be able to read it. Making it difficult for them to take/re-use your code.

not a ideal solution but def a hinderance

It can be done.....in a convaluted manner. you can hide the source in the case of dynamic webpages running java/perl/php/asp/whatever in the back end. YOu could still see the source of the HTML that is generated but not the actual source of the site. This board is a good example, you can view the source html but that wouldn't let yo make a workign copy of AO.

You could also do the entire site as a java/asp/flash applet but that would require the viewer to have special addins to their browser to view the site, and force a high speed connection.

Neitehr of those would accomplish what you are looking for though, in the case of phishing sites they are just copying the look of the page then putting in their own backend...you don't need any source to do that, just look at the page and manualy duplicate it. There is no way to stop that.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

valhallen/bballad: You're both correct, but like you said -- in hindering it. This is what he said:

i was thinking of stopping piracy
    He want's to stop it, not hinder it down.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    Was there any reason for the negs? I didn't see him whine about Antipoints, and his question wasn't that stupid. I smell powertrips :/

I apologize, Dries.. I thought this:

the other day i was thinking of stopping piracy after being negged by many users over my last post, which was !!
    was an inadvertent and "subliminal" way of whining about the negative antipoints he recieved on his last post. I apologize.. Also, and I don't know if you meant me, but I never said his question was stupid. Please don't think I'm on a "power trip".
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    I can't see who gave him Antipoints, so I wasn't addressing anyone in particular. I figured that those who did give him Antipoints would be old enough to draw their own conclusions, whether those conclusions are in line with mine or not.

Hoopy Frood
    Irregardless if he was whining, he just went from 2 reds, to 1 green. I gave him full pos for this post ('cause it was a decent enough post and he was unfairly negged for it) and when I reloaded the page to see the change, it had gone flashing green and he has one 1 green AP. And I know that I don't hit that hard, so some other people must've had the same idea as I did...

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard