Thread: IE Flaw Puts Google Desktop at Risk

IE Flaw Puts Google Desktop at Risk

Source: http://www.betanews.com/article/IE_F...isk/1133545790
    By combining the flaw with Google's Desktop Search, a malicious Web site could read personal data off a visitor's machine.

Beware....
    // too far away outside of limit

I knew google on the desktop was a bad idea. my trust in anything other then www.google.com for searching is now down to 0. Sure this is a fault with IE (as usuall) but jesus.
    meh. -ech0.

MrBabis ...thanks for the heads up on this one.

i finally put google desk top on a computer. i was waiting to see if someone would exploit it when i saw that port open. guess i didn't wait long enough.
    (cant wait 'till monday to play with it)
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Damn and i had all these fears of this exact same thing happening, talked about this in another thread a while back.

anyhow this has really messed with my paranoia no more google chat, no more google desktop, no more gmail, sick of all these ploits that potentially the attacker can gain your information from, i see it as not worth the risk.

next we'll find that everysearch you type into google, they save to there database as research... OOPs that's right they all ready do..

Banned
    ANY time there is a service running... you can be exploited. It's just a matter of time.

via: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28177 http://news.com.com/Google+Desktop+t...3-5984794.html
    Google was so concerned that a flaw in Microsoft's IE browser might compromise its toolbar technology it managed to fixed it within a few days of finding out about the problem.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has known about the problem for six months and is promising that a patch might be available next Tuesday, possibly, maybe.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Hey Hey,

There was a previous thread regarding this... but the original poster decided to bash google for it and put the blame there... I think their decision to remove the post was a good one.

As for this flaw... How can anyone here hold google responsible or say this taints your opinion about google? As JinX posted, they fixed it within days..even though it wasn't their problem to fix... If Microsoft didn't have this problem... it wouldn't exist...

For those of you that say you won't trust google anymore and no more google products.. I ask you this.

Let's say you own a car... the make doesn't really matter... Then you go out and purchase a really sweet stereo/DVD system... Everythings good... but suddenly, the power locks start acting up and they randomly unlock and by banging the car door in a certain way they also unlock... So you're snuggled up in bed one cold night and someone sneaks up and exploits the lock problem... getting your door open and stealing your sweet stereo/DVD but they also stole the private XXX movie that you and your gf made (You like watching it in the car for whatever reason).... They've stolen the product and private, personal information... Is that the stereo manufacturers fault or the car companies fault? You could say that it was your fault because you didn't provide yourself with adequate protection after you found out about the problem... but if you wanted to lay the blame elsewhere.. it'd be with the car manufacturer... not the stereo manufacturer... This is the same thing... you all are blaming the stereo manufacturer because the car company built an unreliable product.

Peace,
    HT

Actually HT i would blame the problem on the individuals that installed the stereo components in the car, as it would be there fault for not installing the component the proper way.
    If it was installed properly then it would not of triggered a fault with the electric solarnoid that controls the locks on the doors...

And if more people experienced this problem with the same model of car, then it could be put back to the manufacture's of that car for not installing compatible devices to support Foreign objects ie: Car stereo's..

Sorry but i think i've grasp the point you were making, so if i'm waaay of the mark then please correct me with this..
    Umm they said i should put my signature here.
    And now all i got is a heap of White Out on the Monitor..

Originally posted here by Leap Frog
    Actually HT i would blame the problem on the individuals that installed the stereo components in the car, as it would be there fault for not installing the component the proper way.
    If it was installed properly then it would not of triggered a fault with the electric solarnoid that controls the locks on the doors...

And if more people experienced this problem with the same model of car, then it could be put back to the manufacture's of that car for not installing compatible devices to support Foreign objects ie: Car stereo's..

Sorry but i think i've grasp the point you were making, so if i'm waaay of the mark then please correct me with this..
    I don't think you're following exactly...

The lock problem was seperate from the stereo... It just happened to lead to the theft..

The lock problem occurs...not due to the installation of the stereo... just due to manufacturers defect.

Peace,
    HT