Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dettux, Linux From Hell

If so got any screenshots of what it looks like.?
    Like a bash prompt? Or the GUI? How would a screenshot prove I've installed Detu, f2b?

Read my above edit why I'm annoyed with this distribution. I have little patience for something that goes out of its way to be difficult for the linux community. Sure, it's a badge of honor to have it completed. And then what? Again, you only come out with the ability to say "I know how to check deps!"

Let me end all of the possible-flame posts by saying, I don't think dettux is anything other than a roadblock. But I nonetheless do wish you the best possible experience and time while playing with it.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

Psst, I've now gone somewhat further!
    guardian alpha: I don't see your problem. I suggest you go play progress quest (www.progressquest.com) for a little bit (I don't think it works under WINE), and then come back when you understand and appreciate the joke.
    -----------------------

gcc-3.3.4 (same deal as gcc-3.0)

(you can start compiling glibc-2.3.5 about now, don't forget the linuxthread add-on!...)

(edit /etc/group to add group tty)
    util-linux-2.12q
    findutils-4.2.25
    pciutils-2.2.0
    rsync-2.6.6

pkg-config-0.19 (had to --disable-threads, YMMV)

libintil:gettext
    (I needed LFS doc for this!)
    cd gettext
    cd gettext-runtime
    ./configure
    make -C intl/
    make -C intl/ install
    ----but didn't solve my libintl_gettext when configuring kernel....

automake-1.4-p6
    slocate-2.7
    sysfsutils-1.3.0
    xinetd-2.3.13
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

I suggest you go play progress quest (www.progressquest.com) for a little bit (I don't think it works under WINE), and then come back when you understand and appreciate the joke.
    Starting a system by taking binary packages from one system for dettux to use is progress? The initial point is all about copying over the tarballs, and thus again going out of it's way to be difficult where other distro's have ignored the setback of that aspect by including coreutils.

Dep checking, dep checking. It's already been done.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

Like a bash prompt? Or the GUI? How would a screenshot prove I've installed Detu, f2b?
    Well both would be nice. i've been wondering what it looks like once it's all configured..

I have little patience for something that goes out of its way to be difficult for the linux community.
    Then why go out of your way to bash it? You don't like it fine, then don't participate in the thread if all you are going to do is bash it..
    You want to participate then post something useful or helpful.. That's what this thread is here for...

Sure, it's a badge of honor to have it completed. And then what? Again, you only come out with the ability to say "I know how to check deps!"
    Still if you only come out of it learnt how to check dependicies, that's still something learnt then nothing learnt at all...

cheers

Obviously guardian alpha didn't go play progress quest :-(
    It's a shame. Front2back, I'm sure you would at least enjoy it...

front2back : once it's all configured, it looks just the way you want it to. Heck, if I hadn't messed up somewhere, I'd have libintl_gettext and I'd be able to configure my kernel again. I forget which option I have to check for the vmware ethernet card so I'm networkless right now ... It's a simple distro, but in the end it's just like Gentoo: you install what you want to install. I'm still going strong with a CLI right now, but I have bash-3.0 now, the summum of quality! *laugh* You can make it look just the way you want to.. If I do get X.org running on this, I'll probably go with windowmaker

Well both would be nice. i've been wondering what it looks like once it's all configured..
    Desktop interface is seperate from the operating system. Gnome and fluxbox will still look like gnome and flux box
    Then why go out of your way to bash it? You don't like it fine, then don't participate in the thread if all you are going to do is bash it..
    Because it's hard enough encouraging the linux community to keep proper documentation, but when dettux is looked at as a 'difficult' distro due to it's lack of documentation it simply boggles my mind. Allow me to explain:

Dettux: "Build a VCR. You can use parts from other VCRs if you want."

Rock/Gentoo/LFS: "Build a VCR. Here is the documentation for explainations, definitions, suggestions, insights into configuration reading, and a crash course in saftey for electronics. Use parts from other VCRs or build your own from scratch. Don't know how to buil from scratch? Here is a crash course in metalworking.".

See the difference bud? One is going out of it's way, again, to be time consuming. Easiest way to research for dettux is google, right? So why would researching be looked highly upon if the documentation that is already needed is put together into a singular area that eliminates the tediuous search but still shows the explaination of the process in-depth?

You want to participate then post something useful or helpful.. That's what this thread is here for...
    Useful? I can do that.

Don't copy tarballs from your gentoo CD. It defeats the entire purpose since you now have a mixed bag of binaries preconfigured for specific init-style usage. IF you gank sourcetarballs, play it safe versus fast. A BSD/gentoo source may or may not have additional 3rd-party hacks (like dropline) that can bring you errors down the road that you were never expecting. Stick to source from the origonal releases.
    - Charles Darwin

guardian alpha, you realize that Gentoo is a meta-distro, right? It compiles everything from source... So why exactly does it defeat the purpose to use the source repository I've built up over a year (because I don't clean them out, like most people do) ?

And actually, your analogy is slightly incorrect.
    Rock/Gentoo/LFS would tell you : here is a crash course in hardware processor building. Build a processor.
    Dettux : Build a processor. Here's an abacus.

You see, Dettux "ships" with files that are four years old or more. Make is 3.77, you don't have coreutils (doc says to install textutils!), gcc is 2.95 (r2 or r3? I forget), binutils are ... hahahahaha! ...
    It's a distro from hell because you have to build it with tools from that day and then move towards today. It's an annoying piece of crap because not only do you have to learn dependencies, you have to learn *which* packages you need, and *what* options you need on each, and *how* to configure them once they're installed.

It's an annoying piece of crap because not only do you have to learn dependencies, you have to learn *which* packages you need, and *what* options you need on each, and *how* to configure them once they're installed.
    So you have to read the documentation? Sounds exactally like how I remember dettux. Read the documentation on required libs and the rest was a peice of cake.

And using the objects they shipped with never worked for me. It was a waste of time to use buggy software on purpose, so I rolled newer packages of the included tgz's so that I wouldn't have to worry about my errors belonging not to my lack of knowledge, but the stubborness of using files that I already knew wouldn't work without an update.

Save yourself the stubborness. Start with updated files versus older, buggy, useless files that you are going to try and update in the first place.
    - Charles Darwin

Thanks for the advice, but you're something like a week late
    In case you haven't noticed, I've made some tremendous movement forward (at least, I like to think so).
    The question remains : what are the required libs? That's what I have to figure out. I updated things as I found that they were outdated; and I was very, very happy when I got binutils and coreutils to compile ;-)
    Reading the documentation is the same across all software, whether it's an OS, a userland tool, or a luser (yeah, they're software. Buggy software, but software nonethless).
    Maybe I have outdone you, then, since I have been using the tools they gave me to make new tools. *shrug* That's not the issue, though. The issue is this :
    When I go to /usr/src/linux (a symlink to /usr/src/linux-2.6.12) and I type make menuconfig, I get a lot of undefined references to libintl_gettext.

Any idea how to solve it?

When I go to /usr/src/linux (a symlink to /usr/src/linux-2.6.12) and I type make menuconfig, I get a lot of undefined references to libintl_gettext.
    That's an issue with your glibc headers. in specific reference to gettext. Do you have the most recent glibc along with the most recent headers according to your kernel? Did you modify the origonals? Are you using a 3rd-party tgz or the origonal?

It could be an old glibc version, too old, for your kernel (2.6 family). Try updating your glibc if you have the origonal source or try the older 2.4 family kernel. Give the kernel documentation a read to check the dep requirements of the 2.6 family.
    - Charles Darwin