Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dettux, Linux From Hell

"most recent" ?
    the glibc headers ship with glibc, yes? I installed glibc-2.3.5 on the machine less than an hour ago.
    Did I modify the original headers? No. I got the tarball from my gentoo machine, and same goes for the linuxthreads add-on. I'm pretty sure that's not modified though; it's as is. Gentoo leaves any patches/modifications it makes as ... patches.
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Well, your linker can not find the symbols in the gettext library, so make sure you are linking to it with the proper -l options.

example: gcc -o smile smile.c -lintl

Your kernel makefile should automagically include this though, so it has to be an issue with the glib headers or the gettext links.

Let's narrow this down. Is it just your kernel or is it other compilations too?
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

Wait.. Hang on.
    glibc says it's a stupid idea to install it to /usr/local so I installed to /usr/lib .. I need to use libtool or libtoolize now to tell the OS that it has to look in there, right?

Other compilations work fine.

glibc says it's a stupid idea to install it to /usr/local so I installed to /usr/lib .. I need to use libtool or libtoolize now to tell the OS that it has to look in there, right?
    Correct And yes, all system libs should go in /usr/lib as /usr/local is set for your programs beyond the base installation itself (gaim, gimp, etc).

The kernel in specific looks for the /usr/lib due to, well let's be honest, that part of the operating system normally already existing. Replacement of it into /usr/lib -should- solve your problem.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

You guys don't let this turn into a flame war, K? I don't mind discussions but keep it above the belt. And Trevoke that is a good friend of mine so just make sure to treat him with respect as he usually treats others with the same.

No worries Gore. I sent him a PM letting him know that I'm not upset with him but moreso reflective of how the dettux development team is to suggestions and even the idea of a forum. The community itself seemed counter-acting to the sharing of information because of the refusal the development team has of proper documentation.

He replied back letting me know that the distro was meant as a joke in which it was supposed to be hard for the sheer fun of it. Heh.. Clears up a bit for me as I was taking this distro as seriously as LFS. If it is a for-fun distro then that's fine. As you can see, we are now BFFs and are working to solve his glibc.
    - Charles Darwin

Good. I tried to explain yesterday for you but I was busy as crap and had trouble putting the words together properly. It's meant to be hard for fun like he said. And that reminds me I forgot to grab those FTP links for him.... I'll get to that in a sec.

Okay, I'm restarting a compilation of glibc.

The FAQ had the answer : if I want to install this version of glibc as the default version, I have to use --prefix=/usr and everything will go in the right place.
    So... I'll keep you all posted!

****. I think I broke it.

When typing 'make', 'nano', 'locate', ...
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version 'GLIBC_2.1.1' not found (required by /usr/local/lib/libc.so.6).

Time to research.

Does the file /lib/ld-linux.so.2 point to a valid file (example: /usr/lib/ld-2.3.1.so), because note where glibc is still attempting to point all lib files at... /usr/local/lib according to the error message. Also, have you unlinked the old points to /usr/local/lib/ to refocus onto /usr/lib? A quick and dirty hack would be to eliminate gcc and glibc and do a complete recompiling of both to refresh the soft and hard links of your system. Of course.. that's iffy since dettux may or may not follow that standardization since it is not implimented.. per say.

glibc changes and upgrades are scarier than kernel errors
    - Charles Darwin