Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dettux, Linux From Hell

Soon as I get the hang of this system I'll edit it for you.

And we can add:

groff-1.19.1
    a2ps-4.13
    bzip2-1.0.3
    readline-5.0

Now I'm pretty much at a loss, because near as I can figure, I need to compile a kernel (a lot of the stuff I'm trying to build requires autoconf.h ) and the linux 2.0.xx that I have isn't working. The linux-2.6.14 laughs at me too.. So I'm off trying to find what kernel came out about the time that Dettux was last worked on.
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Sorry to bump, but this is, I think, an important breakthrough

readline-5.0
    ncurses-5.4 + patch from 2005 08 27
    perl-5.6.1

As you can tell, I am very scatter-brained, but I'm moving forward! Giant steps!

autoconf-2.53
    autoconf-2.54
    autoconf-2.57
    autoconf-2.59
    automake-1.5

export TERM=getty
    ncurses-5.5

linux-2.4.10 --> make config -->autoconf.h !!
    make-3.80
    linux-2.6.12 --> make menuconfig --> autoconf.h !
    coreutils-5.0 !!

nano-1.3.7 (FINALLY! I don't like JOE so much)
    netkit-ftp-0.17
    gzip-1.3.5
    shadow-4.0.7

touch /etc/group
    groupadd root
    attr-2.4.24

zlib-1.2.3
    file-4.16
    binutils-2.16.1 (WOO HOO!)
    gettext-0.14.5
    bison-2.1
    coreutils-5.3.0
    bash-3.0
    bzip2-1.0.3

But I can't seem to get a gcc... Working on it though!

gcc-3.0 (BOOYAH!)
    --> --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-threads=posix --enable-bootstrap=lean
    And a few modifications to code when errors arose.
    http://www.mail-archive.com/gcc@gcc..../msg07677.html
    From here I'm pretty sure that compiling a more recent GCC is going to be easy, as will be installing a recent glibc (2.3.5).
    Either way, I'll let you all know...

So what is the difference between this and LFS (Linux from Scratch)?
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

Let's see, for starters, with LFS, you usually start with a fully functional system, from which you create an independent system (through a LiveCD for instance). Also, LFS has real documentation, and they tell you which software (and which version!) to download, and which options to use to configure and compile it...
    With this one, well, it's kinda like dropping you off in the jungle with a bowie knife and telling you "Well, you've seen Rambo, right?"

Let's see, for starters, with LFS, you usually start with a fully functional system, from which you create an independent system (through a LiveCD for instance).
    LFS does start with a full system unless you use the livecd, but you only build a bare-bones, unusable system for LFS. Compilers and a few extras. Why? Because it's an unneeded hassel to copy items you already know the system needs to floppy disks just to compile.

Also, LFS has real documentation, and they tell you which software (and which version!) to download, and which options to use to configure and compile it...
    Real documentation, explainations, examples, and configuration suggestions are bad? You can sit there and peck at dettux all you want but in the end all you are going to learn is what breaks and what doesnt. You might not learn why it breaks. You might not even care and just go searching for a new version instead.

With this one, well, it's kinda like dropping you off in the jungle with a bowie knife and telling you "Well, you've seen Rambo, right?"
    Just doesn't seem fun to me. You don't learn anything other than through trial and error what packages are needed due to the lack of documentation. You have no idea of what you are possibly missing that you could be learning and attempting because of lack of documentation and explainations. In the end, you will be running a system that is peiced together by software you may or may not understand due to merely meeting the requirements for installation. And even then, dettux won't take the time to explain the differences in init systems, ideas for implimentation, and resources avaliable for modification and their uses.

It's great you want this 'rambo' distro. But to me it feels as if the only thing to be learned is that depedency checking is a peice of cake and mounting a floppy drive is a powerful command.

Edit: My harshness stems from the fact that, to me, dettux is yet -another- linux distrubution that simply mirrors the way other operations systems already run, but with minor modifications to it's starting point of installation. The main distributions (such as slackware, debian, rock) we have are already lacking the appropriate amount of coders, testers, and supporters. Why not at least plop into a dsitribution that would not only teach you linux beyond depedency checking but also benefit back to the linux community as a whole?
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

guardian, i take it by the way your bashing Detu[xX] is that you have successfully installed it and are one of the 14 people that have got it running correctly..?

If so got any screenshots of what it looks like.?