Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Rootkits Are Bombarding XP SP2 Boxes

Microsoft LIE ? Never............(tongue in cheek)

Didn't Microsoft say "Windows 2000 was the most secure system, right out of the box" ?

ROFLMAO

Hoopy Frood
    Maybe you're confusing the quote with the one about OpenBSD? http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/99....security.idg/

Edit: Search for the term "box" on the above page.

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Or maybe MS is being disingenious, and is garnering sympathy before it rolls out "Vista" with it's Windows do I really onecare "Subscription Fee", you don't think that the next version of Windows is going to have a Security Suite built in do you (AV,Antispyware, Antiadware etc.) they are going to try and incorporate as much of this Anti technology stuff as stand alone as much as possible (spreads out the cash more).

just my 0.01 Cdn
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

xierox -- No, not confused about the quotation.......It was said by Microsoft
    (possibly at one of their launches of W2K)

However I cannot backup the comment with any written proof.

Cheers

I would agree to the term infestation. Its 6:44am and I've spent my night with the new girl of mine so I wont go into high detail but MS seems to be taking a beating from hell latly, I work for a tech support company who does remote support. Day in call after call is eather "I got this virus" or Im getting popus/other spyware or my IE is dead (9 times outta 10 is a spyware infection). I know this is not really a valid point when you pick it apart, but I do see viruses of all sorts (some varents almost hitting the letter Q). I think MS will have to do something before they loose more market share to Apple or the *nix guys. Just my thoughts, its early, im dead. Hope there was a valid point in there some whare.
    meh. -ech0.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I've spent my night with the new girl of mine so I wont go into high detail
    at first I thought he was going off topic .............
    but then I saw the thread title

I suppose it's a kinda rootkit

[edit]
    I've posted elsewhere about a rootkit detection / removal tool, just adding the link here too :
    Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    I double posted as I am not sure where this should go, if it needs moving, please do .....

Further to the above :

F-Secure have now released a root-kit detection and elimination tool.
    it's FREE [always a good idea ] and in its Beta form now from here

source
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

The point is microsoft won't make things better until it can make money out of
    it, also nowdays these days they are more busy trying to second google.

I think you are right dalek. Money is the object for MS. Put the scare in the public and then sell them a new OS without any real security, then add a host of security for a price. If you didn't know what you were doing, you'd buy it in a heart beat. Who wants some no-life speading your checking account in 2 hours at the Black Jack table.

Freddy
    cybnut

Hmmm,

Didn't Microsoft say "Windows 2000 was the most secure system, right out of the box" ?
    Not exactly, I think that they implied that it had the potential?

After all, it is a professional OS like NT 4.0. It is driven by users, groups and permissions.............

Obviously the OS has no way of telling what the business environment and security model are, so it cannot be secure "out of the box", you need to set it up/configure it first.

I believe that it is a common mistake to lose sight of "traditional" security considerations from back when all systems were paper based.

Checks and controls, authority levels, counter authorisations and so on. Just because you now have a computer doesn't mean that these happen "automagically"

nihil, not even a hello. After I've been gone this long. My feelings are hurt. What-up.

Freddy
    cybnut