Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Web Server, Database, and OS Confusion

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    No. This is not correct. This is your gateway address, not your DNS server. Go to your ISPs website and get the IP of the primary and secondary DNS servers and put them in resolv.conf as advised.

The syntax varies distro to distro but if you have Xwindows, simply go into YAST and pop the IPs in there. This edits the resolv.conf for you via the GUI.
    That's not necessarily accurate TH. Many SOHO routers will act as caching DNS servers (such as wireless home D-Link and Linksys models).

I do find it interesting that you can ping google using the name, and surf to it using the IP your ping resolved, but are unable to surf using the name. Clearly if it is as you stated name resolution is functioning properly, but not web surfing. Can you try telnetting to google? If you do it by name and it opens a connection, there is clearly some kind of web browser configuration issue that is being shared by the update utility.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

I just set up a database using Oracle 10g, JSP, jakarta tomcat and Server 2003. I take it that you're using the job number has a primary key. If I were you, I would create a sequence and then use .nextval for that particular column.

If you don't want to use Oracle, MYSQL works fine too. Different syntax though, but all the same.

Also, if you want to just use IIS, you can always use ASP. ASP is much easier than JSP, IMO.

To make things easier, I sugguest you create the database in sql and then test it by linking it with the ODBC Oracle 10g driver in access. You can generate simple quieries to make sure your code works. Either that or you can just drop your tables and then go over your code one statement at a time.

OK, so I now have most things up and running, and I have a script (included below) to upload files, however I cannot seem to be able to upload files that are more than 2MB, but anything less than 2MB works fine. I am aware of the security issues in the script but this is not a problem as the server is not on a public network.

[quote]
    HTML Upload Form
    <form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="/uploads.php" method="POST">

Choose a file to upload: <input name="uploadedfile" type="file" /><br />
    <input type="submit" value="Upload File" />
    </form>

Uploads PHP File
    <?php
    $target_path = "/srv/www/htdocs/files/";

$target_path = $target_path . basename( $_FILES['uploadedfile']['name']);

if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['uploadedfile']['tmp_name'], $target_path)) {
    echo "The file ". basename( $_FILES['uploadedfile']['name']). " has been uploaded";
    } else{
    echo "There was an error uploading the file, please try again!";
    }
    ?>
    [\quote]
    I\'m Dying To Find Out The Hard Way

You need to modify the upload-max-filesize directive in php.ini:
    http://ca.php.net/manual/en/ini.core...d-max-filesize
    The default is the 2MB you're seeing.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?