Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FREE VMware

FREE VMware

i did something i normally wouldn't do and that's follow one of jupm's links.

VMware Player (VMware, Inc)

As of right now this policy is changing. From now on the first thing im going to do when i sign on here is check out the links.

many of you may know this but i for one did not. Vmware has a *FREE* piece of software called “VMware Player” which allows you to run different OS's on you computer in a virtual machine using vmx image files which are downloadable if you can find them. Just had fordora running on my XP box here at work.

Here's the link for fadora core:

http://chaz6.com/?p=136

VMware didn't include the ability to create your own images but apparently it can be done:

http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000153064739/

If anyone has links to any vmx images *PLEASE* post them here.

BTW the reason this is in a security forum is....ah hell you all know how useful it is
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Hey Hey,

VMWare is awesome.. (5.5 was also recently released for people that didn't know)... You really can't beat their software... Virtual PC pales in comparison... However I am liking coLinux for running Linux distrobutions...

As for peopel providing VMs.... Tedob1: You PM with the VM you want and I'll provide it..

I believe I just deleted my 2003 VM (Ran outta disk space) but I'm going to build a new one in the near future...

I've got

RH 7
    Libranet
    Ubuntu
    Win98
    MS Dos
    WinXP

I'm pretty sure I have others on disk (might even include 2003) but I'm not at home to check...

I'm not sure of the legality of providing you with the MS VMs... so that might be a grey area to avoid.... However send me a PM and I'll put them up on my website and give you the link to it. (anyone else that wants em too)... I've got DVDs full of VMs at home.. I'll check and see what they are (We used to have to develop VMs in school constantly)..

Peace,
    HT

Hoopy Frood
    http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/vm/

I think that's what you're looking for. Let us know how it goes!

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Just as an FYI for those using VMWare Guset OSes: VMware Tools Homepage

Now, this is an unsupported app as far as VMWare is concerned but might be of interest with those experimenting with VMWare player when trying to get configurations set up best. I haven't tried it but does look interesting. Additionally, there are more links at the bottom of the page that might be of interest.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I wonder if we could get Microsoft to release a legit Windows VM. They could completely lock it down hardware-wise, for instance, and do whatever else they want.. Would be cool though.
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Just as an FYI for those using VMWare Guset OSes: VMware Tools Homepage

Now, this is an unsupported app as far as VMWare is concerned but might be of interest with those experimenting with VMWare player when trying to get configurations set up best. I haven't tried it but does look interesting. Additionally, there are more links at the bottom of the page that might be of interest.
    From the source, ya know!

The only concern with sharing VMX files is, of course, licensing. Not VMWare licensing...licensing for whatever OS you are sharing. Just my $0.02.

Tedob, AFAIK the primary difference between Player and Workstation (or ESX server or any of the other versions) is the ability to create, copy, snapshot, pause, and network guest OSes. I run a variety of guests on my laptop, so I can have multiple VPN clients connected at once, as well as a sandbox system (although that recent vulnerability perked my ears up...)

Player is more for folks to say "Hey, check out our <OS, Application,whatever> and provide you the package of a Player installer and the VMX files. Minimal muss and fuss.

I was upset that my IT Helpdesk hadn't ordered from the Linux host version, just the Windows host version...until I learned about Player. That pretty much closed the discussion. :')
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Is it possible to use vmware's free trial of the workstation to create the virtual machines and then just use the vmplayer to run them? That way you could make your own MS VM. Or do they have an expiry within the VM it's self if you use the evaluation version of workstation?
    If everything looks perfect, then there is something you don\'t know

qwertyman - I think you can use the trial version of VMWare Workstation to make a VM (which you can then run using VMware Player), but you can also make your own VMs without the trial version (see link in the first post here or on my website).

-jk

Originally posted here by qwertyman66
    Is it possible to use vmware's free trial of the workstation to create the virtual machines and then just use the vmplayer to run them? That way you could make your own MS VM. Or do they have an expiry within the VM it's self if you use the evaluation version of workstation?

the images you make do not expire along with the workstation as far as i can tell and yes they work great using vmplayer!

i have an older version of vmware which says it dosent understand the new hardware so right after my last post i downloaded the shareware and started makeing vmx files of everything.

the player allows you to run more than one instance of itself so you can still have a virtual network after the shareware expires.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I love it, disappear into AO lala land, reappear and the first thread you read is from a user you recognize and actually helpful with posts by names you recognize. TY, Tedob1.

I'd read that the player was free a while ago, but didn't realize that there was an eval version that could create an image of my favorite Linux distro for use with the player. That's definately tastey.

Dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel