Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NTFS vs FAT32

NTFS vs FAT32

Hi

I did a quick search and didnt found anything like this so i am posting it. Forgive if it has been posted before.

I was wondering which of the file system is better for getting better performance out of the system. I know that secondary memory or the HDD is used a lot by the OS and file system can help in improving performance. Can anyone tell which is better.

I would also like to know that since i have a slow processor 933Mhz P3 on FAT32, will changing to NTFS be better .
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...onvertfat.mspx

NTFS is better in MHO. for security reasons and just general stability.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hi Mystery Man, Looking at this chart I think processor has got nothing to do with the file system being used on your HDD.

and NTFS is way better than FAT32. That chart will tell you most of the things you need to know about NTFS and FAT32.

cheers!!

EDIT: NTFS has built in security as Texan said. How could I forget that!!!

- :S:
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Singh, you posted the same link twice
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Singh, you posted the same link twice
    That was intentional coz thats the first link came up for googling "ntfs vs fat32".
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

Originally posted here by :Singh:
    and NTFS is way better than FAT32. That chart will tell you most of the things you need to know about NTFS and FAT32.

Well, this is not really true as I stated many times. NTFS is no good for dual booting, FAT & FAT32 is file system of choice and it requires less disk space.

NTFS, is for file and folder level security, and is the system file of choice in this case.

So everything has a thing that it is really good at and weak at.

0.02$

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

What i am concerned about is that can NTFS improve the disk read/write time and thus increase the effective speed apart from the bus speed and thereby improve the system performance.

I think the dual booting you are talking about is between Win 9x and xp. I think it has no effect on the dualboting with linux. If it does then please tell how.

Can an NTFS file system win xp read from a FAT32 hdd seperately attached to the system?
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Can an NTFS file system win xp read from a FAT32 hdd seperately attached to the system?
    Yes.. Yes it can As long as the drive with FAT32 is mounted as a SLAVE..

front2back

Originally posted here by Mystery Man

I think the dual booting you are talking about is between Win 9x and xp. I think it has no effect on the dualboting with linux. If it does then please tell how.
    I don't think that NTFS partition will load linux boot sector! If you want an NTFS file system create a saparated partition for your windows! and keep the rest as FAT32!
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

From my own experience, NTFS will no way improve you disk read write speed or that efficieny, but yeah it recommended for better security.You can have C: partition of windows as NTFS and rest as FAT32, then you will know if there is any difference for yourself...

And as far as dual boot with linux is concerned, you will have no problem whatsoever, nearly every current release of linux is automatically able to recognize and mount NTFS (atleast my SUSE 9.1 can do this with no problem...

Hope it helps
    It\'s all about sense of power.