View Poll Results: Will we see technology that utilizes this capability outside of Academia

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely

2 100.00%
  • Not a Chance

0 0%
  • Who Cares?

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So...why the Nic???

********** |ceWriterguy
    Blackice was easy -

Back in my trucking days I got stuck in a hideous ice storm up in Dallas, trying to deliver toys to a WalMart distribution center north of town, then deliver to another south of town. During the course of the day the 'skyways' (the overpasses allowing one to exit from the main highways) were closed due to icing. Good thing really, sliding off a 300' high ramp into interstate traffic in an 80,000lb truck isn't my idea of fun. To get around these closures, traffic was using back routes - small feeder roads that accomplished the same thing as these skyways.

It was on one of these that I first encountered black ice. So clear and dull was the sheen that I couldn't tell it from the pavement in front of me. I'd stopped on it because traffic ahead was backed up...and my truck started sliding towards the 8' ditch to my right.

It was the grace of the good lord above and a bag of sand I kept in my toolbox for emergency traction that saved me and my truck that day. I've been blackice ever since - it was also my CB handle btw.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Well my nic just comes from being proud of my state and knowing that I do live in the best state in the whole damn union... Everything is bigger and better in Texas anyway thats it. and my custom title comes from, well i have technically lived in the city my whole life but my parents have made sure i know what the real country is so im a redneck at heart and proud of it btw HT, my name is Tyler too but I couldnt think of anything cool to do with it lol.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

The main nic I use is Kilroy. I first started using it back in 1996 when I was younger. However, I just googled Kilroy to see what came up and this is what I found: "Kilroy is a familiar image, whose origin is something of a mystery." I guess enough said. But really my original reasoning for the name was based on Michael Jordan's "Popcorn Reel" from the mid 1990's. Nike made a series of commercials of him supposedley playing Semi-Pro ball and killing people. This of course was when he was retired after his father's death.
    \"Don\'t be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships people don\'t speak of...\"

Long story actualy..

I once took a girl out for an enjoyable evening..
    It ended up with us both being arrested for indecent exposure..
    The fine was higher for the girl then for me..
    So I JinXed her night out..

The nick kind of stuck.. and became my handle for online mischief..
    Now it is my handle for the nice things I do..
    I do have a seperate nick for michief.. one that doesn't link to my real name in a simple google search
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Originally posted here by foxyloxley

and I REALLY want to know WTF a moxnix is ???
    Just for foxyloxley ~~
    moxnix is a GI/German slang word for Macht Nicht Aus, which basically means 'matters not'. Or it doesn't really matter.....or who gives a f*#k anyway. (I have been accused of having just such an attitude at times.)
    So now you know.

[BTW....I have had that nick, in some form or other, for more years than I care to count]
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Cheers Mox~
    I was just curious, and I am now, officially,
    it does, also, clear up the title you have at present too ..........

you learn something new everyday

my earliest nic was trotsky
    don't know how OR why, just a school thing from the 60's

Pax
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

MIR:
    Well as for me, this is the first 3 letters of my real name, and it is a russian word that means "the world", so it is kinda i got the whole world in my hand stuff!

but he main reason is that when i was at school i had a huge intrest in space stuff, so one frnd kept calling me MIR at high school and soon it became my official name lool

then when we started uni, i did not even tell anyone about that nick,but some ppl donno how started calling me like that , i was like DUH! how did u know
    and with every new work i start, now almost everybody calls MIR from time to time,even though there is some formal atmosphere at work.. but hehe even the owner of the company calls me MIR ..

as for BEEE (B triple E)...
    it was meant to be BEE, cuzz i was at a net cafe,i was subscribing to anitonline and wondering what nick i would use other than MIR, so that guy responsible of the net cafe asked me for some help , so he said in my local language, "kif bitdaleh mitil il zor2ta ma btihday" , zor2ta = BEE.. so i thought that this is nice and it is so common in google and not easily traced
    but BEE was taken... so as i was reading on the internet something related to the famous IEEE, i though BEEE would be fun too.. loool ... B can stand for lot of stuff lool (6)

so that is the story mainly

Mine is very difficult to decipher... haha!

Let me spell it out for you...

I like phish (the band) hense the phish (I'm not a scammer obviously...)

I always went to the phish shows and people said I was a freak for being so into them. They called me a Phish Freak.

Phish got thier name from "Fish" (the drummers last name)
    They spelled it with "ph" instead of "f", I figured freak would do better with a "ph".

I didn't like the way phreak looked, so I changed it to phreek.

80 was my birth year....

So, you get phishphreek80

nowadays, I normally use phishphreek and leave off the 80.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hoopy Frood
    The year was 1997. My dad had just bought his first Windows computer: Acer, 133 P1, 24MB RAM, 2 GIG HD, 2MB Video Card, 28.8 Modem, ~$1,500. He made it the home computer and subscribed to a dialup account, too, so I was getting my first glorious taste of the internet at the age of ten. I had a book "The Kid's Guide to the Internet" and one of the fun sites it listed was mamamedia.com. I went there, and registered. This was the first time I had ever registered for a site, so I had to come up with a username. I sat there thinking for a few minutes and decided that I thought the printer brand Xerox was a pretty cool name. I thought it was spelled "Xierox", though and didn't realize my mistake until a few months later. I've had it ever since.

So yes, I originally named myself after a printer, but after a realized my mistake, I began to disavow any association with it.

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I like cats and I used to work at a Bowling Center...