Thread: Stumped

Old Fart

Stumped

OK...here's the background and I don't know much. PC Chips M810D M/B, 256 RAM running Win XP (supposedly). This thing is shutting down totally at random. I can't complete an fdisk, let alone do a re-install of XP. I'm leaning towards a P/S issue, but will welcome any opinions you folks might have.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

When you say randomly, is this after the box has been running for awhile (heat issues), if so have a look at the fans to see if they are dusted up, if the box is fairly clean, then try the Trojan/Virus route...

If you have an AV try updating the definitions, if unable then do a Housecall from Trend Micro http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

or Panda Online http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm
    or download MaCafee's Stinger http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Try some of these scans in safe mode with networking if you can...

Also it could be a Ram issue http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    After heat issues
    try to dismantle / refit everything on MoBo, to make sure all is seated fine ........

random, or is it always within the first few minutes ?

early problems would point me to PSU / RAM issues
    if the system is running for upwards of 10 /15 minutes, then I'd look into the heat idea first.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

********** |ceWriterguy
    allen - without having read the entire thread here - usually when one gets flaky with random reboots even on a clean install, it's the mobo. Have you checked for blown/leaky caps?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Old Fart
    Random, always in the first 5-15 minutes. I'll check the caps for leaks.
    Al

Hi allenb1963

PC-Chips?..................would not touch them mate................load of junk.......if that was used as a MoBo then the case/power supply is also questionable, but I would be very dubious about the whole lot...............it has that "cheap build" smell about it?

Hey it could be RAM even?

Sorry mate, when I see stuff like that I pass it by

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Random shut downs... This points me to PSU or a heat problem... In my experience, when ram goes bad it doesn't shut off the computer... but it freezes the whole thing instead and you have to hold the power button for like 5 seconds to reboot... Any kind of post beeps while booting up?
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Allen, I had an issue just like the one you are describing. It was with my old computer... and it was directly related to the CPU overheating, my heatsink wasnt working properly so i bought a exhaust fan like THIS one. it helped out quite a bit.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Old Fart
    No leaky caps.....BUUUUUT....I've noticed a "sizzle" coming from the m/b two or three times now so I'm advising my buddy Giz to find a new m/b. I'll hook up another p/s just to make sure, but I'll put my money on a bad board in this case.

nihil....I'm an Asus/Abit type of guy myself, and if the m/b is the problem I'll be converting Giz to the same line of thinking. Thanks old chap.
    Al