Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penetration Testing

Penetration Testing

Hi All,

I want to go in enetration Testing, can anyone suggest me the scope of the same and some good sites from where I can good study material.

thanks.
    Riya
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

Give this site a Look, there have got a fair few programs that could be used for pen-testing.
    Code:
    Click Here
    And as for reading material, well i'm sure that if you went and looked in the tutorials section you might be able to find some good reading material.

In utter and endless vanity. Humbleness, oh how I miss thee.
    Everybody loves newbie time :

Lol, yeah so here's my question. What's enetration testing? I've searched yahoo and all I get is a bunch of stuff about penetration and dildos.
    This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch. The beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try and make us think it's for our own good, yet we are the criminals. Yes I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker and this is my manifesto. You may stop me but you can't stop us all.

That's right. I'm 10100111001.

Penetration Testing is a kind of security Testing, where you test the vulnerability of the system.

The portion of security testing in which the penetrators attempt to circumvent the security features of a system. The penetrators may be assumed to use all system design and implementation documentation, which may include listings of system source code, manuals, and circuit diagrams. The penetrators work under no constraints other than those that would be applied to ordinary users.

The testing of an operational system for security weaknesses while attempting to override system privileges.

A penetration test is a method of evaluating the security of a computer system or network by simulating an attack by a malicious hacker. The process involves an active analysis of the system for any weaknesses, technical flaws or vulnerabilities. This analysis is carried out from the position of a potential attacker, and can involve active exploitation of security vulnerabilities. ...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    O.G at A.O

Do any of you have any idea of the companies who actively deal in Penetration Testing?

I believe penetration testing got easy with all the latest security cd's. But on a minimum you need to be fully aware of the OS and the latest tools with minimum coding skills to compile exploits .

Sachin
    -=SaC=-

Greeting's

Wipro in india hire's pen testers for their clients. Now a days some call centers all so do that in Mumbai or banglore.

Many other companies also hire pen testers i think one more from india Mahendra & Mahendra, i'm sure you didnt know they were one of the best to provide Computer security service's in india. Infosys also hire's them but i'm not sure if you can get into infosys unless you are from IIT.

Best of luck.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by riya_here
    Do any of you have any idea of the companies who actively deal in Penetration Testing?
    Most major technical consulting firms will have some sort of offering or ability in this area, even if it's just a handful of consultants who can perform the evaluations with COTs or opensource tools. Some offer it as a service, with a standardized lab and scripted evaluations that are analyzed and reviewed by an analyst. It depends on what you want, and how much you are willing to pay.

I know for a fact that you can pay any of these companies to perform a PenTest (also known as External Vulnerability Assessment or EVA, although that term has broader meaning and scope than PenTest):

Symantec
    IBM
    VeriSign
    Counterpane

You could also Google for Professional Penetration Testing Service and get a boatload of results. However, there's no telling what will rank highest...
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Originally posted here by riya_here
    Are you asking who specializes Penetration Testing? Many organizations will do Penetration Testing using their own employees. Some rely on their IT Security group to do it, others on the IT Auditing group.

SANS has some great stuff on Penetration Testing. (I took a class there and found it extremly useful.) If you can't (or don't want to) take a class with them, look into their Reading Room (http://www.sans.org/rr/) - In particular, the section dedicated to Penetration Testing (http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/testing/)

-Deeboe
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

http://tazforum.**********.com/