Thread: if i did this... would it be illegal

Banned

if i did this... would it be illegal

i can share w/ you futurama torrent 13Gigs .. all episodes

is that illegal???

Hmmmm,

That is actually a difficult question. A lot depends on your local laws, and where you got the material from.

Over here it would be totally illegal to go and buy a DVD (for example) and share it over the net. However, if you recorded a TV programme that had been publicly broadcast then it would be ignored, even though it might be technically out of order.

The view would be that a public broadcast has been put in the public domain, and the copyright holders reimbursed for this. Whoever now owned the rights would have to prove that they lost potential income as a result of your actions.

It is a grey area, and the answer is different from country to country.

Why not up-load it to one of many torrent sites and post a link ? then people can choose to download it or not. Then it stops AO being a file sharing site
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

I see it as, if it's been shown on television and you have recorded it either on Cassette, or DVD then i guess you should be free to share it with whom ever you want, as long as you don't charge people money for copies or to borrow.

cheers
    front2back

My advice would be not to do it, having found the following:

http://www.chillingeffects.org/fanfi...=210&print=yes

20th century Fox own the copyrights, and you can buy DVDs with the episodes on them, so they could claim loss of revenue.

Yeah i was gonna say that nihil. SInce they have seasons to rent from blockbuster or buy at stores it would be illegal to share since your stealing revenue from them.
    O.G at A.O

Banned
    It's absolutely illegal, that's all that needs to be said. There are no "maybe's", no "if's". It's illegal

I see it as, if it's been shown on television and you have recorded it either on Cassette, or DVD then i guess you should be free to share it with whom ever you want, as long as you don't charge people money for copies or to borrow.
    So if a song has ever been played on the radio, the RIAA will forgive me for downloading them illegally?

There's a reason the "including infringement without monetary gain" part is in those annoying FBI warnings that you can't fast-forward past

Hmmmm,

the RIAA will forgive me for downloading them illegally?
    The situation is not quite so clear cut here (UK). This particular series is still earning money, so would be covered, as indicated by the link I posted.

Other stuff that you have recorded off your TV or radio would generally be ignored. Even file sharing isn't taken that seriously over here. We concentrate on counterfeiting and bootlegging. People who are actually making money out of it.

When it comes to places like China and India...................... 'nuff said

Generally speaking...if you have to ask the question...it's illegal.

Hi EG~

We have a kind of weird situation here (UK). Counterfeiting, bootlegging and sharing copyright material for profit are criminal offences.

All else is civil, and more along the lines of "breach of contract" etc.

Our entertainment industry seems relatively laid back because the action is being taken by law enforcement agencies at the taxpayers' expense. It isn't costing them like it is the RIAA

So far, there has been very little action against file sharing other than to close down a few uploaders' sites. Mostly a lawyers' letter will do that as the activity is certainly against the terms and conditions of all ISPs over here. I would guess that the ISPs themselves close them down as well due to bandwidth issues.

The attitude seems similar to that taken towards illegal drugs.................go for the suppliers rather than the users.