Thread: NAV clients Virus definition not updating

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

NAV clients Virus definition not updating

I have recently changed the parent server of all the clients of NAV 10 to a new one, ok now the issue is the virus definition on the clients is 6 months old, its of june 15 2005, my parent server virus is of 28 dec 2005, so the clients should have the same.

I have waited a whole day and for few clients its been 2 days the definition is still old, and also i have noticed one more thing after these clients have been mapped with the new parent server, the virus definition of the parent server can not be updated.

When i click live update it gives me message all the symantec products and components installed in this system are currently up-to-date . I manually downloaded the latest virus definition and try to run it, but still im seeing that old virus definition.

Now what could be possible wrong here?. Is it to do with this mapping of server or something else. ?

Method adopted to Change the Parent Server

I followed this procedure for changing the parent server, i copied the GRC.DAT file in the users directory of the symantec client in each PC after few mins. it changed the parent server automatically.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Not sure whether this is any help to you, sounds like you have carried out the correct procedure, i had the same problem recently for a short period but used this link to fix the issue.

I am unsure what you mean by the users folder ? Do you mean to the users folder of the user of the local machine ? if so this is incorrest as i am suer you know.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00040312351348

On one machine though i did need to reinstall the client to point it to the new server as the process did not work.

Hope this helps
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

I followed exactly the same procedure as described in the link, but problem still there.

As far as reinstallation is concerned, i think thats not possible check out my post:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...220#post880220

I am really getting Frustrate By Norton Antivirus. Any suggestion for other alternatives AV for corporation.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

The Iceman Cometh
    You mentioned that you downloaded the most recent update manually and tried to install it. Was this on the server or on the clients? Also, did you use the self-installing .exe file or the .xdb file? If you used the .exe file, try the .xdb on the server (available here). Then, follow these instructions and you should be able to get the server to update. Once the server is updated, I suspect that the clients should update fine. If not, try uninstalling on one client. I know you had trouble before, but it should work now that you have reset them to the new server. Good luck.

A.J.

I tried to run the Virus definition on the server, even i have copied the .xdb files as per the instructions from the link, its still not updating.

I have tried to unintall the client still receive the same message to enter the password and i gave the NAV server password its still not accepting it so the problem with uninstallation is as it is.

Cool The server is now updated i have restarted it and the .xdb file has worked now all i have to see is that whether the clients have been updated or not.