Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are more people not using these?

Why are more people not using these?

Simple device, takes less than 10 minutes to install.

http://www.knightdiscounts.com/Compu...coverycard.htm

Really don't understand why more people do not use them. I have a data backup plan and I use it at least once a month if not more.

Too many people get caught off guard because they think their "Antivirus" will protect them against all evil.

These things are dirt cheap too. I think it should be an option when purchasing a computer. Too bad it does not support ext2/3
    Whats a \"START\" button?

Yeah. I've use "PC SHERRIF" cards on 'public' computers..

Works like a charm..
    Especially in combination with network boots..

For a 'clean desktop' approach (anyone can work anywhere).
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    shameless plug

tsk... tsk... tsk

spazzmatrix

The answer to your question is that most people are probably unaware that they even exist?

I can see PC technicians being a little reluctant to recommend them as well, given that they make quite a lot out of fixing screwed up machines and recovering data?

Another factor would be that in the UK they used to cost US $ 52. That price has now fallen to about $18

I can even visualise some unscrupulous technicians installing one and not telling the user. PC comes back and takes five minutes to fix but the customer gets charged top dollar

There are software alternatives, but this solution seems far more robust, as it would be more difficult for malware to mess with it.

The card is so tiny, i wonder if it does all the things mentioned, or have they just prettied it up with some extra comments.?

I guess i'll just have to go buy one and see if there as good as they say they are.

cheers
    front2back

Hey Fronties~

Exactly my thinking mate! I have located a UK supplier and will get onto them Monday.

If they really do the business I can think of several installations I will make. I am sure that quite a few of us have machines that we look after for free (friends, family, charities etc?) and this could be very useful in that area.

Assuming that they work, I would put several people on "telephone support" rather than having to make a house/office/institution call.

It will be interesting to compare notes once we have had a chance to play? I am proposing to try XP SP2, 2000 SP4, ME and 98SE.

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hey Fronties~

Exactly my thinking mate! I have located a UK supplier and will get onto them Monday.

It's 4:08Am here in Aus, and tomorrow's Sunday, so i'm gonna go to the local computer swap meet, and see if any of the venders there have them.
    If not then i'm gonna have to wait till monday.
    If they really do the business I can think of several installations I will make. I am sure that quite a few of us have machines that we look after for free (friends, family, charities etc?) and this could be very useful in that area.
    I'm forever fixing computers for free, so i think after i've tried one of them out, i might just start issuing them out.
    At least that way it will cut the work load down a bit.
    Instead of manually repairing, it would be click a button here, click one there, and presto repaired..
    It will be interesting to compare notes once we have had a chance to play? I am proposing to try XP SP2, 2000 SP4, ME and 98SE.
    those were the machines that i'm planning on trying it out on to, minus 2000 SP4 and Me..
    The notes that users collect would be interesting to read, as the results would vary with each user, and computer.

cheers
    front2back

Cheers
    [/QUOTE]

That looks pretty cool, but it doesn't really mention HOW it works. How does it work?
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

Never heard of them myself. The places I shop online for don't have them, but I did a Froogle search and found one on ebay.com for a $8.99 buy it now price, and $10 shipping to the US. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=40176
    I wouldn't doubt the performance cabilities of it though, technology has advanced so much in so little time, that it's all possible now. However, in my opinion it isn't popular for a reason, they advertise it to be a sure-fire way to always have your data safe but my question is, why isn't it popular then?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hi Iron-Kurton ,

Bit of a guess here mate, but the PCI card seems to have some firmware on it a bit like those EEPROM chips used to protect laptops

It reserves a protected area of the HDD where it stores its recovery data.

It then works a bit like 2000 or XP or ME restore, except it claims to be rather more comprehensive.

I am guessing that it will restore malware just as easily?

I really need to get my hands on it and play for a while?