Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port 136 - Profile Naming System

Port 136 - Profile Naming System

Can anyone provide any information on port 136, the profile naming system? I'm unable to find anything other than a crappy description of UDP after a search. It appears to be something specific to macs, is that correct?

BIOS Bomber
    The UDP port 136 uses the datagram protocol, a communications protocol for the Internet network layer, transport layer, and session layer. This protocol when used over port 136 makes possible the transmission of a datagram message from one computer to an application running in another computer.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Er, that's a description of UDP. I was looking for some info on "Profile Naming System". Thanks though!

BIOS Bomber
    ah well i dont have info on that others will help.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

/ somewhat off topic

I am pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that port 136 was no longer used and that you should close (filter?) it.

Is that true?

I found this,

Port number: 136

Common name(s): Profile Name Service

Common service(s): Profile Name Server (depreciated)

Service description(s): This port is no longer used by legitimate services.

Common server(s): None

Common client(s): None

Common problem(s): NA

Encrypted options: NA

Secure options: NA

Firewalling recommendations: Firewall port 136 inbound and outbound as it should not be used for anything.

Attack detection:

Related ports: NA

Related URL(s):

Other notes:

IANA ports lists information:

Port Number: 136
    Protocol: tcp
    Name: profile
    Description: PROFILE Naming System

IANA ports lists information:

Port Number: 136
    Protocol: udp
    Name: profile
    Description: PROFILE Naming System

Last updated 08/08/2005

Copyright Kurt Seifried 2005
    http://www.seifried.org/security/ports/0/136.html
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

BIOS Bomber
    yea that goes along with the UDP.

Short story is that I've got something on my network with 136 open. People have a history of bringing machines in and plugging them in, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it without shutting the box down (cutting its network access off).
    My other fear is that the box might be infected and sitting on my network. Is anyone aware of a particuler exploit or virus that causes this port to open? I haven't noticed a problem with any of my other machines yet.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Don't hesitate to kill that box.....

I have never come across this port open on any machine. I find this site to be useful and up to date for potential issues with a specific port and it lists nothing for 136. To me that implies that it's a custom port.... Do you get any response, (like an banner or something), from it? Since it appear's to be custom I would kill it and run FPort or similar on it to see what app is opening the port.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thanks for the info, Tiger. I didn't think of that. I'll give that a quick shot and kill the machine afterwards.