Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what to do with an extra computer?

Question what to do with an extra computer?

I recently aquired an extra computer which has reasonable processing power.

AMD Athlon 1900+
    256 ddr333
    20 gig harddrive

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for running a server at my home, or any utilities that would maybe be useful and help me learn freeBSD or maybe linux. Im just kinda at a loss with alot of time on my hands but i dont know where to start.

Any advice or ideas would be welcome...
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975

Question what to do with an extra computer?

I recently aquired an extra computer which has reasonable processing power.

AMD Athlon 1900+
    256 ddr333
    20 gig harddrive

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for running a server at my home, or any utilities that would maybe be useful and help me learn freeBSD or maybe linux. Im just kinda at a loss with alot of time on my hands but i dont know where to start.

Any advice or ideas would be welcome...
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975

Banned
    The only thing you should be doing is tell yourself that a lot of promising-and-very-talented kids would love to get their hands dirty on that thing, that they would not have any problem at all putting it to use, and that they would love to have a lot of free time on their hands to play with it...

In other words: pick a topic you'd like to learn more about and Google it... then apply it.

Banned
    The only thing you should be doing is tell yourself that a lot of promising-and-very-talented kids would love to get their hands dirty on that thing, that they would not have any problem at all putting it to use, and that they would love to have a lot of free time on their hands to play with it...

In other words: pick a topic you'd like to learn more about and Google it... then apply it.

BIOS Bomber
    If your just getting into linux I recommend redhat. That's the first OS i saw and started using.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

BIOS Bomber
    If your just getting into linux I recommend redhat. That's the first OS i saw and started using.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Originally posted here by mandraketux
    EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW>... Gore go slap him... NOW!...

Neg's got the best idea... you can do anything with it... "Where do you want to go today?"....

There are so many things you could do with it... so many things you could explore and discover.... I'd say throw on Ubuntu... start playing...

Possible Options:

Find older knowingly flaws distros and don't update them... See how many vulns you can find on your own... and then try and write code that will exploit them.. (might as well dive in).. After you've played until you're tired.. run a nessus scan and compare your results... Then install another distro and start over..

Run a full server.. If you've got high speed and can put it in the DMZ... do it.. secure it first.. and put it up with everything running... modify the logs to go to a remote box.. but shut off all other access to the rest of the network... see if it get's hacked.. how it's hacked.. record the results.. and monitor what they did..

Run a server.. secure it and lock it down... run all the services and offer accounts to people.. learn to successfully managed a used server... (mail, http, ssh, ircd... whatever ya want)..

Start programming... run python... build your own services using the programming language... I've got the code I started for a python webserver that would parse php... I never finished it.. but it was fun to play with while I was...

Spend a few hundred bucks... Register a business... Get a Microsoft Action Pack Subscrition.. they'll give you Server 2003, SBS 2003, XP, Office 2003, and every server they have.. SQL, ISA, IAS, Live Communication (or whatever it is) Sharepoint, etc.... play with those.. learn them.. lock them down.. it also includes Visual Studio 2005 now... play iwht programming it in... total cost.. here anyways it would be 470 Canadian (Business license + Action Pack)..

Just a few ideas for ya..

Peace,
    HT

Originally posted here by mandraketux
    EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW>... Gore go slap him... NOW!...

Neg's got the best idea... you can do anything with it... "Where do you want to go today?"....

There are so many things you could do with it... so many things you could explore and discover.... I'd say throw on Ubuntu... start playing...

Possible Options:

Find older knowingly flaws distros and don't update them... See how many vulns you can find on your own... and then try and write code that will exploit them.. (might as well dive in).. After you've played until you're tired.. run a nessus scan and compare your results... Then install another distro and start over..

Run a full server.. If you've got high speed and can put it in the DMZ... do it.. secure it first.. and put it up with everything running... modify the logs to go to a remote box.. but shut off all other access to the rest of the network... see if it get's hacked.. how it's hacked.. record the results.. and monitor what they did..

Run a server.. secure it and lock it down... run all the services and offer accounts to people.. learn to successfully managed a used server... (mail, http, ssh, ircd... whatever ya want)..

Start programming... run python... build your own services using the programming language... I've got the code I started for a python webserver that would parse php... I never finished it.. but it was fun to play with while I was...

Spend a few hundred bucks... Register a business... Get a Microsoft Action Pack Subscrition.. they'll give you Server 2003, SBS 2003, XP, Office 2003, and every server they have.. SQL, ISA, IAS, Live Communication (or whatever it is) Sharepoint, etc.... play with those.. learn them.. lock them down.. it also includes Visual Studio 2005 now... play iwht programming it in... total cost.. here anyways it would be 470 Canadian (Business license + Action Pack)..

Just a few ideas for ya..

Peace,
    HT

Banned
    or um... you could sell it since it is extra? but if you're the true geek we expect you to be here on antionline, then you'll probably just play around with it. exploring the world of the overglorified unix and linux operating systems is a possibility but that's up to you. i see the benefit if you work in the computer industry, etc. but if you're just trying to have some fun, i'd pass on it. if you want to learn more about freebsd as you mentioned, the obvious answer would be to install it on the computer and have a go at it. man pages were created for a reason as for other ideas: try modding it, put it somewhere you've always wished to have a computer, install it in your car as a new entertainment console, whatever. if you're into playing around, install to your home's christmas decorations and become miller's newest celebrity. do what pleases you. if you were to give a more specific area of interest, i'm sure you'd more detailed suggestions.

Banned
    or um... you could sell it since it is extra? but if you're the true geek we expect you to be here on antionline, then you'll probably just play around with it. exploring the world of the overglorified unix and linux operating systems is a possibility but that's up to you. i see the benefit if you work in the computer industry, etc. but if you're just trying to have some fun, i'd pass on it. if you want to learn more about freebsd as you mentioned, the obvious answer would be to install it on the computer and have a go at it. man pages were created for a reason as for other ideas: try modding it, put it somewhere you've always wished to have a computer, install it in your car as a new entertainment console, whatever. if you're into playing around, install to your home's christmas decorations and become miller's newest celebrity. do what pleases you. if you were to give a more specific area of interest, i'm sure you'd more detailed suggestions.