Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP won't boot anymore..

Windows XP won't boot anymore..

Hey all..

My wife got some virus on her Windows XP (home edition)
    She can't remember the name..
    The symptoms:
    After the initial blue screen which complained about the ntoskrnl.exe (she did remember to note that) she did a reboot..
    Now the computer starts with the 'running bar' Windows XP logo screen.. after about two seconds you see a blue glare so fast you can't read anything (less then half a second) before it reboots again..

It's not a hardware (harddrive) problem.. It's a dual boot and I let linux do some crunching on the hdd and there are no problems there..

I only got a recovery DVD (which I can't find btw) with the laptop, but that's a 'ghost' image so it would destroy any changes made..
    It's a dual boot and the linux boots just fine so I can copy all the important stuff to another computer before 'recovering' (what a lousy name for putting back a ghost)..
    But then I would have to reinstall SP1/SP2 and all 2Gigs of patches.. All software etc..

So I went to a neighbour.. Asked them for their XP (pro) CD and tried the [F2] automagic rescue..
    But that just asks for a 'rescue floppy in drive A (which the laptop obviously doesn't even have and I don't have a rescue floppy either)..

I'd hate to have to go thrue the effort of finding all important stuff on both linux and windows partitions (It's an 80 Gig drive)... Putting the ghost back.. Patching the windows up.. Finding all the other software (CD's and downloads).. having to deal with all the key codes etc.. And finally putting back the other data..

So.. Does anyone have a better option ??

This is what I hate about proprietary (non free) software..
    You just can't fix it yourselve.. And you should never lose your origional disks and serials..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Windows XP won't boot anymore..

Hey all..

My wife got some virus on her Windows XP (home edition)
    She can't remember the name..
    The symptoms:
    After the initial blue screen which complained about the ntoskrnl.exe (she did remember to note that) she did a reboot..
    Now the computer starts with the 'running bar' Windows XP logo screen.. after about two seconds you see a blue glare so fast you can't read anything (less then half a second) before it reboots again..

It's not a hardware (harddrive) problem.. It's a dual boot and I let linux do some crunching on the hdd and there are no problems there..

I only got a recovery DVD (which I can't find btw) with the laptop, but that's a 'ghost' image so it would destroy any changes made..
    It's a dual boot and the linux boots just fine so I can copy all the important stuff to another computer before 'recovering' (what a lousy name for putting back a ghost)..
    But then I would have to reinstall SP1/SP2 and all 2Gigs of patches.. All software etc..

So I went to a neighbour.. Asked them for their XP (pro) CD and tried the [F2] automagic rescue..
    But that just asks for a 'rescue floppy in drive A (which the laptop obviously doesn't even have and I don't have a rescue floppy either)..

I'd hate to have to go thrue the effort of finding all important stuff on both linux and windows partitions (It's an 80 Gig drive)... Putting the ghost back.. Patching the windows up.. Finding all the other software (CD's and downloads).. having to deal with all the key codes etc.. And finally putting back the other data..

So.. Does anyone have a better option ??

This is what I hate about proprietary (non free) software..
    You just can't fix it yourselve.. And you should never lose your origional disks and serials..

This Site seems to have a way to fix the prob.
    I guess it's just a matter of trial or error..

And you can download all the patches and burn 'em onto a CDR, Autopatcher i use it all the time when i'm doing fresh installs, saves downloading and restarting a few hundred times..

cheers
    front2back

This Site seems to have a way to fix the prob.
    I guess it's just a matter of trial or error..

And you can download all the patches and burn 'em onto a CDR, Autopatcher i use it all the time when i'm doing fresh installs, saves downloading and restarting a few hundred times..

cheers
    front2back

Wild guesses could the virus be [1,2] ....

[1] W32.Bolzano
    [2] W32.FUNLOVE.4099

B.T.W. Good luck the_JinX...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Wild guesses could the virus be [1,2] ....

[1] W32.Bolzano
    [2] W32.FUNLOVE.4099

B.T.W. Good luck the_JinX...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Thx front2back..

I should have specified..
    All the options in the boot menu (safe mode, safe mode +, safe mode ++, last known good configuration etc) have the same result..

About the corrupt boot.ini and ntoskrnl.exe..
    Note: If you have a system recovery CD or restore CD these steps will likely not work for your computer.
    So I'm royally screwed there..
    I really really hate this OEM 'recovery DVD' crap..

But I will try tonight with a real WinXP pro SP2 CD (non OEM) I'm taking home from work..
    I'll try and see if I do get a R option from that CD..

Agent_Steal
    Yes.. my wife said: "Yeah that might be it", when I asked if it might have been called Bolzano..

Reading about the FixFun I might also need to pack a Win98SE CD to be able to boot to DOS.. and burn ntfsdospro to another CD..

Weird thing is.. The machine is running (up to date) FreeAVG..

Microsoft.. We don't sell software.. We sell keycodes on shiny holographic paper..

Thx front2back..

I should have specified..
    All the options in the boot menu (safe mode, safe mode +, safe mode ++, last known good configuration etc) have the same result..

About the corrupt boot.ini and ntoskrnl.exe..
    Note: If you have a system recovery CD or restore CD these steps will likely not work for your computer.
    So I'm royally screwed there..
    I really really hate this OEM 'recovery DVD' crap..

But I will try tonight with a real WinXP pro SP2 CD (non OEM) I'm taking home from work..
    I'll try and see if I do get a R option from that CD..

Agent_Steal
    Yes.. my wife said: "Yeah that might be it", when I asked if it might have been called Bolzano..

Reading about the FixFun I might also need to pack a Win98SE CD to be able to boot to DOS.. and burn ntfsdospro to another CD..

Weird thing is.. The machine is running (up to date) FreeAVG..

Microsoft.. We don't sell software.. We sell keycodes on shiny holographic paper..

Reading about the FixFun I might also need to pack a Win98SE CD to be able to boot to DOS..
    If you need a boot disc then check out this Site they've got a ton of useful stuff, that might proove useful..

Reading about the FixFun I might also need to pack a Win98SE CD to be able to boot to DOS..
    If you need a boot disc then check out this Site they've got a ton of useful stuff, that might proove useful..