Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: telent to port 21

yeah well peerweb DC++ is the new in thing in college so almost every one on lan has it .. and well we use it only for our internal purposes and more and more for internal chating and all than for actual file sharing .

as for somthing listening on port 21 it seems so but then why does that prompt always close down either after the first charecter i type or after a specified time of no actvity (maybe some timeout setting) he shouldnt have anything running on that port cause well ... he hasnt set up any server or anything and i think he's got macafee so decent firewall and all ... although i know that it doesnt make him invulnerable but some protection ....

but yeah you did manage to put it put it down pretty well ill give you the result of that nmap scan as soon as he gets back

edit :
    ok heres the result .. saved in the screenshot ..
    anything that doesn\'t kill you or your dreams only makes you stronger

sry people didnt notice that the edit didnt allow an upload of the picture

Hmm nmap shows filtered other than 139 & 445... which means there is some sort of firewall between yourself and the remote, as you have said....

Maybe your 'hanging' is because the packets are dropped which means that your local doesn't know anything about the remote and as u said the timeout on the local telnet app is quite long.

But when u try to send another (ie when you type) it rejects the packet (sequence non-existent or some other rule)...

What error were you receiving on port 80? can we have a screenshot of the 'test' telnet process you are executing?

well they are there in that first zip file it contains screenshots of both telnet to 80 , 21 and to 23 ... and the result of a "netstat -n" on his pc

and yea i think im beginnin to understand what you are saying but that still doesnt explain why the difference is arising .. (or maybe i havent understood completely)

What is showing up in the firewall log of the box you are telneting too?

hmm... actually never checked .. ill get back to you as soon as i can but I'm not that familiar with his firewall so it might take me some time so check .. but ill get back you on that

well now wierdly enough now my roommate doesnt want me messing with his firewall logs
    ( I guess all these Dbase guys dont trust any one) so sorry people.
    but any wya tahnks for taking interest, and taking the time to help me I just wish I could have found out what was happening.
    once again thank you all.

Okay, first of all, are you an admin. If you are not then that is why you cannot do the telnet.

I'm not to sure about the reason for you wanting to telnet to places so I will give any details as too why.

am I an Admin as in ???
    yeah on my computer I was using the Admin account. but nope its a college network so Im not the Admin on the network. Maybe thats the reason.

edit:
    sorry forgot to add the reason I was telnetting - well wierdly enough just for the heck of it there are very wiered things that a guy can find on a LAN and he can learn alot from it as well if he just does stuff for fun .

[rant ] as an example -- In my college labs we have a 20 MB account limit and very restricted rights. however I found that if we were to logon from the graduate labs we could get an administravtive account on that computer. that is because of some mistake they had made since this happened only when the computer couldnt log us on to our roaming profile and made a temporary local profile. and yeah we did tell the admins.
    [end rant]