Thread: VPN Router recommendations

VPN Router recommendations

Hey guys,

I'm looking into purchasing a new router for a small office network (35 users). This router is going to have to handle multiple VPN connections as well as remote applications. We're looking at up to 30 remote users.

I've been looking at these:

D-Link DFL-200 10/100Mbps VPN Firewall

NETGEAR FVS124GNA 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit VPN Firewall 25 with 4-port Gigabit LAN and Dual WAN Port Switch

NETGEAR ProSafe FVL328 10/100Mbps VPN Firewall

I really wish I could go Cisco, but they are just so expensive. I think the max I can go on this is about $220.00

VPN Router recommendations

Hey guys,

I'm looking into purchasing a new router for a small office network (35 users). This router is going to have to handle multiple VPN connections as well as remote applications. We're looking at up to 30 remote users.

I've been looking at these:

D-Link DFL-200 10/100Mbps VPN Firewall

NETGEAR FVS124GNA 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit VPN Firewall 25 with 4-port Gigabit LAN and Dual WAN Port Switch

NETGEAR ProSafe FVL328 10/100Mbps VPN Firewall

I really wish I could go Cisco, but they are just so expensive. I think the max I can go on this is about $220.00

Hey Hey,

I bet someone can guess what I'm going to say..

Linksys WRT54G with the Talisman Firmware

Specifically the VPN version

Talisman - VPN

The VPN build includes a PPTP and IPSec server in addition to the core feature sets. This version is designed for high-security installations where the router itself is a highly secure endpoint and gateway to the internal network.
    http://www.sveasoft.com/

Peace,
    HT

Hey Hey,

I bet someone can guess what I'm going to say..

Linksys WRT54G with the Talisman Firmware

Specifically the VPN version

Talisman - VPN

The VPN build includes a PPTP and IPSec server in addition to the core feature sets. This version is designed for high-security installations where the router itself is a highly secure endpoint and gateway to the internal network.
    http://www.sveasoft.com/

Peace,
    HT

I am using the Netgear 318 VPN firewall. I have had it about 1 year with no issues. My only complaint is that the Internet port is only 10MB Half. That is not a problem with the version you are looking at. The only other issue is the support is lees than impressive but, lately I have not been impressed with a lot of vendor support.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

I am using the Netgear 318 VPN firewall. I have had it about 1 year with no issues. My only complaint is that the Internet port is only 10MB Half. That is not a problem with the version you are looking at. The only other issue is the support is lees than impressive but, lately I have not been impressed with a lot of vendor support.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Banned

I tested RV042 Linksys with no luck
    and BEFVP41 Linksys and was not working.....

I have WRT54G so I will test it now.....I hope that it will work
    ehh...

EDIT:
    Here you can se how all linksys comfiguration looks for each model
    http://www.linksysdata.com/ui/
    // too far away outside of limit

Get an 800 series (either a 837 for a adsl line or 828 for a gshdsl line)

Go hunting on ebay for one, I managed to pickup a few for testing, they are generally in good condition and only once or twice have I had to reload a new IOS system onto them.

The only problem then is creating the config for it, but there are plenty of people around to help

Memnoch

As a very cheap option I previously used Zyxel routers to create IPSEC VPN's between very small branches, they are also reasonable Internet facing firewalls.....