Thread: First Sony, now Symantec and Kaspersky

Regal Making Handler

First Sony, now Symantec and Kaspersky

The Windows operating system expert who exposed Sony BMG Music Entertainment's use of rootkit cloaking techniques last year is now criticizing security vendors Symantec Corp. and Kaspersky Lab Ltd. for shipping software that works in a similar manner.
    Get the full blurb here: http://www.computerworld.com/securit...tml?source=x06
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

And, we're brining this up again because ... ???????

I think we pretty well established that the use of the hidden (not all that hidden, really) recycle bin has been part of the Symantec/Norton tools for some time. Symantec addressed it.

Hmmmm

Mark Russinovitch is Steve Gibson reloaded (apologies to Matrix fans) a legend in his own imagination.

OK it's a bit like a Hollywood movie, the first one was great; the sequels are crap.

I must read Marks comments when I get a chance to pick my nose..

I wont comment on this artical or MArks attitude untill I have read his own words..

this one news artical is not enough to base an opinion on either side..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Maybe all the attention of the Sony thing went to Mark's head. Maybe he is being mis-understood by the media.

Fame is a fickle thing.

Regal Making Handler
    I don't no, I think he is highlighting a wider issue perhaps??
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by jinxy
    I don't no, I think he is highlighting a wider issue perhaps??
    Hi jinxy

I kinda went there last week.........I thought the wider issue at the time was that, if it's one (now two) that we know about, what other software app's out there don't we know about???

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...944#post881944
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Hmmmm,

1. You buy software that has hidden bits in it?
    2. You buy a hard drive............think that you own all of it and can access it?
    3. You buy a motherboard.................can you configure all the chips?

What Sony did was wrong...........why...........because it could be exploited.

Other applications of similar concepts should be judged accordingly?.............can it be exploited? (within reasonable bounds)

imho i feel the sony xpc software used deceptive tactics to install(even if you declined the rootkit was installed), sony then tried to deny its existance. Then they made it seem like such pratices should be acaceptible and no one would understand or care. The unknowing disabling of their software would leave your cdrom unusable and refused to address the problem until the news hit the general public.

The other companys mentioned did not seem to deny the issue. looks like they addressing the issue. They posted the information on their own advisories. Their technology ran for quite a very long time with out being exploited, and reached its end of life. So I beleive its not so much the software that was used but how the problems were addressed that makes the diffrence.