Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Keyboard

Cleaning Keyboard

Today I popped each and every key, a few at a time, out of my "eggshell Ivory" keyboard out (WHY do they make them that colour???) and cleaned them off with a papertowel soaked in Windex. (Bear in mind I'm a smoker, so even the grime that a NON-smoker would eventually get is multiplied by that "lovely" pale tan colour, if you spend a year or two on it, like I do).

But underneath! Around the little square slots they fit into? - Yeesh! I used Windex-soaked Q-tips for that.....

Toast crumbs, bits of tobbaco, cat hairs (she sits on my lap sometimes), even the odd little hair of MINE, or an eyelash! Even one or two of the TEENY little "no-see-um" bugs that I remember sweeping away from the Monitor on last summers warm evenings, (do you get those ones that can even get through the screen, they are so darn tiny?).

i have dead people under my keys, there's all kinda sh*t down there when you pop out every key.
    O.G at A.O

I simply use a flamethrower to clean mine.

Trust me.

And grats on your 1500th post, Copy

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

I cleaned a keyboard once. then once i had carefully spent a few hours cleaning each key one by one, i went to put it back together, and i couldn't remember witch key went where.

Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    I cleaned a keyboard once. then once i had carefully spent a few hours cleaning each key one by one, i went to put it back together, and i couldn't remember witch key went where.

LOL...Been there, done that, after a couple of times, I finally made a diagram.......what a hassle..
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Hmm, my keyboard is a major detritus store. My last keyboard at home was 6 years old before I replaced it. I think there were at least 3 new foms of life within it's greasy spaces.

I occationally turn it upside down and shake out the crumbs but considering most keyboards hold more bacteria than the average toilet it's a lost cause.

I've cleaned keyboards by taking 'm apart and puting the plastic parts in the dishwasher..

For the electr(on)ic parts alcohol and q-tips..
    I don't know what kind of corosive stuff is Windex..

Nowadays I usualy just buy new keyboards..

But I still clean out my old IBM 4 series with the vacuum evry once in a while..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Originally posted here by dalek
    LOL...Been there, done that, after a couple of times, I finally made a diagram.......what a hassle..
    haha, since I clean mine with the computer on, I just press the keys with something and put them back in accordingly.

I've never dared to take out the space bar though..I heard it was pretty hard to put back. I have a few spare keyboards, gonna take the space bar of one of them out later
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

to Jinxees point you should be able to put the entire keyboard into the dishwasher... (turn off the heat dry) then when its done take it out and put it upside down on a towel for a couple hours.

Should be good to go. I have done it with a couple keyboards and never had an issue
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

I'm afraid to take the keys off, there's things under there that move....lol

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.