Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help...

Red face Please help...

I have a very strange small oval thing (filled with plain white backing and little gaps that you can see the desktop through) that will appear on the top left of my monitor (no longer than 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch virtical). It is really weird but it will rotate for a couple seconds then go away completly. This will happen every so often about 10 min or 15 min. I go to a tech school for networking and I was trying to explain this to some people at my school but they didn't know. I went home last night and took a screen shot "print screen" when it happened, but when I pasted the screenshot into paint the mark was not there??????? I have been told so many different things but the one that makes sense is a virus or bug in my video card. Any ideas or seggestions to get rid of this would be appriciated because my last backup was about 2 months ago.

Thanks,

JRUMJ
    Thanks,
    jrumj

I am going to assume a Windows system. Try opening your Task Manager and letting it run, check to see if a task or process is started when this happens.

Cheers:
    DjM

Video card or monitor, I would guess. It makes sense that it wouldn't appear in the screen
    shot, because the operating System is unaware of it if it is a hardware problem.
    You could experiment by replacing the video card and/or monitor.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

This is a windows machine, I have opened up the task manager at the exact moment it happened and nothing abnorm was there. Also this is about four month old video card (radeoon all-in-wonder 9800) the monitor is about 6 months old (ag neovo M-17). I appriciate your time. thanks again guys!
    Thanks,
    jrumj

Harrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! you have "critturs" my young friend.

Please download these, update them then reboot in safe mode and run them.............please let lem kill what they find

http://www.ewido.net/en/

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

http:// www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

You want "SpyBot Search & Destroy" from that last site................

Good luck

OK, are you running the current Drivers?

Cheers:
    DjM

This is the fastest feedback I have ever received on a tech forum ever. Great site!!!!

What do you mean by "critturs"? Spyware? Is this being tranmitted? Thats kinda what it seems like but I have never ran into this before. Your advise is greatly appriciated.

And as far as my drivers go are you asking about my vid card or monitor? I think there is a update for my vid card that I have not got yet.
    Thanks,
    jrumj

critturs=gremlins=a title given when you know that something is causeing a problem, but cannot pinpoint what it exactly is.

If you update your vid drivers and you still notice the 'thing', i would suggest pulling your vid card from your mobo just to copmletly rule it out as a problem, and if you have access to a second monitor i would suggest swappint hat out as well.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi JRUMJ

I am in the United Kingdom, so I am on GMT..............this will account for delays in responding

I would like you to try the software I suggested. Also, does this artifact appear if you boot into safe mode ?

It could be something looking for an update, but what thing?............mostly, legitimate stuff appears in the system tray and down the bottom right...............top left is very suspicious to me

I await your response.

Thank you

No problem with the time delay!!

I was on my computer last night.... No internet, I have the administrator account and my administrator account that I use aka jrumj. jrumj (admin account) is now showing that it is a guest account???? I cannot change it. I have logged onto the administrator account and it does not show any account by the name of jrumj...But it does exist. When I try to create another account named jrumj it will tell me that it is already created. I have a NIC and wireless connection. Both connections are gone, when I open the network connection it will tell me that a service is not started and to start it. I then go to my services and access is denied to starting the service. So it looks like I will not be able to use your software because there is no connection to try it with.

I have unplugged all network connections and the mark does NOT go away. I have not tried this in safe mode yet.

"top left is very suspicious to me " <--------- ME TOO!!!!

I have made a back up a couple months back, I think I am going to wipe my drive tonight when I get off work. As far as locking down my system when I wipe it (do you think this is the right thing to do?) to sucure tight as possible what would you suggest?

Zonealarm firewall
    windows xp
    wireless WEP
    change tcp ip port #
    remove terminal and remote services

These are about the basic knowledge that I have right now. Obviously I let something in that F***** up my computer/ Please excuse my french but man this sucks. I am hoping by wiping my drive this problem will be fixed but I want to lock this computer down tight. Nothing in or out without my knowledge (how I thought it was before) but I guess where there is a will there is a way to bog someones computer.

Thank you ALL!
    Thanks,
    jrumj