Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new way to abuse hardware?

A new way to abuse hardware?

http://www.cpukiller.com/

Ummm, this is cute and all to make things for the old MS-DOS stuff work.... But doesn't it seem like a wonderfull way of bringing a server to it's knees? Have not read i yet so I'm not sure....

Soooo a app that chews cpu time..

hmm I can do that with a ship load of apps.. SETI-BOINC, PRIME95 come to mind..
    I know.. Vista on VM.. that will load ya CPU to a snails pace..

hmm why not the old "Go Slow" for dos apps?..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I actually have a couple of these applications. One of them is rather slick, you can actually set your CPU in 1% increments/decrements.

The link is a bit misleading, it isn't a hardware device, it is purely software so the picture is a bit of humour.

There is another application that you would probably want these days. It gets round the problem that a lot of the older DOS based games have, in that they try to interrogate the hardware to set themselves up for your video and soundcards. XP and Win2000 do not allow this, so this software fixes the problem for you by intercepting the direct communication attempt and routing it through Windows.

This stuff DOES NOT HARM your hardware in any way.................it is "political software", it just lies to it a bit. Ooops, my apologies Mr Blair, Mr Brown, Mr Bush, (insert your favourite here )..........it does not "lie" it merely "judiciously manipulates factoids".

I have never tried it on a server, I would guess (gut feel) that it would not be able to handle a multiple processor environment? Remember, those old DOS games were not designed for LAN or internet gaming arenas.

Quake and Doom both are DOS games that use LANs and the net

This could possibly be used as a DDOS attack if you think about it. Install it on a few machines on a LAN, or all of them... Heh.

Yes, I was thinking of the very old DOS games which were single player, or you used a null modem cable.

I have never really studied the hybrid games in any detail (I mean those that use DOS and Windows) so I am not sure how much of the networked ones took place on the server and how much on the local machine.

I have looked a bit more at this offering and the new version DOES SUPPORT multiprocessors and multithreading.

It looks like an update to enable modern hardware and operating systems...............worth a look if you are into older games.

I notice that they offer a 30 day trial as well

You could use it as a DOS attack but you could easily kill the process if it even runs at all on a locked down network. In the OLD days those IPX Doom games WERE a denial of service attack. Once one of those was fired up the lan was toast.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I'd rather use DOSBox for the DOS games...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

[offtopic]
    Is your new computer too fast for old software?
    Try the exact opposite.. "Is your OLD computer too SLOW for NEW software?" YES!!
    [/offtopic]

I've heard of thing that 'speed' up your computer and are used to cheat on some games and stuff, and never thought that a processor can be TOO fast for old software o.O
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

I played Doom II over the Internet when it only had support for IPX/SPX (pre-Doom95). Then again, that was using Trumpet Winsock and Kali to do it.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Banned
    I've used some of those mentioned programs that slow/eat up CPU speed to 1% and my newer processor was still too fast for some retro gaming! (The game I played was Chopper Commando 2)

So unless your software was designed for Win 3.1, 1% will still be too fast IMO