Thread: books/online resources about disk partition for linux (for a newbie)

books/online resources about disk partition for linux (for a newbie)

hey i dint quiet find the search function but found a hasmy....? button and it didnt find any if an other post has been posted about the same subject please point /place a link to it.

I would like to know more information about disk partition for newbies(n00biees, which ever you prefer). Are there any sites that have it exclusively on linux.
    Also i would like to know if there are any software for practising linux disk partition without harming the computer(aka a simulator).I would prefer that for linux.I read it somewhere in a R.H.C.E book by michel jung or something.

If any body knows could you please link to a website that has a freeware software for learnig typing interactively(a basic one would do that shows words per minute and accuraacy) for windows and for begginers

Thanks
    you look up and a bird shits in the sky ,you fall on your knees and thank god that buffalos dont fly.

Hi Orion, have you tried this site yet: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linux+partition

Some good stuff there.

-Deeboe
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

http://tazforum.**********.com/

well there is a LOt of inofrmation on google i just want to stream line the process as many of you might have websites i just wanted to know about what is hda 1 with detailed explanation ,SOME really basic doubts and googling it might take a lot of time. Thanks fo the reply though.I have a book and i dont need the complete step by step instruction for installing linux. i just wanted you know a index or a table which explains all the partitons and all its uses etc for a newbie.And a link to any software for simulaing partitons on linux( a freeware/opensource) would be nice thanks
    you look up and a bird shits in the sky ,you fall on your knees and thank god that buffalos dont fly.

Learning to search is all the information you need regarding partitioning, the ability to find out information for yourself is going to be the key to your success in using projects such as linux.

fdisk...

i2c

I am with the others on this, you should learn to do the searching yourself. Doing so will help you learn how to construct a search to target more specifically what you are looking for. Very necessary for customizing any OS, or installing very new or very old hardware, etc., but especially on Linux.
    But if you want to be spoon feed, stick with M$ and its defaults.

However, as far a Linux goes, the best place to start looking for information is LinuxOnline! .
    Much of the information is dated, but as I said, a good place to start.

Example: Linux Partition HOWTO

BTW, nowadays, anyone can load Linux: just insert the disk, choose the defaults.

But I am not understanding your question about practice software for partitioning.
    Why would one need such a thing?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

weel i read it in a book and i just wanted to see it that it out of curiosity,MAY BE I MISUNDERSTOOD SOME THING ,thanks for the info.

Good Morning,

This: /dev/hda, would indicate it was the master device (dev) on IDE channel 0.
    This: /dev/hdb, would indicate it was the slave device (dev) on IDE channel 0.
    This: /dev/hdc, would indicate it was the master device (dev) on IDE channel 1.
    This: /dev/hdd, would indicate it was the slave device (dev) on IDE channel 1.

/dev/hda is usually a Hard Drive, thus:

/dev/hda1 or just hda1 - This would indicate it was the master device (dev) on IDE channel 0, first partition. (hda5, etc., would be the fifth partition on the master device (dev) on IDE channel 0, and so on)

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

...just download the Knoppix iso, burn it to a cd and start using linux that way. That's the closest you're going to get to a simulator. There you can use linux's fdisk ("fdisk /dev/hda", for instance). As IKnowNot points out, most linux distros, such as Red Hat and Ubuntu, make it easy for you to partition your hdd. The wizards they use may vary with different distros, but fdisk underlies them all.

If you're really interested in linux, just buy an old PIII with plenty of ram (256mb+) and run it there. Old PCs aren't very expensive ($100-200 range). I've learned more on my "crash'n'burn" computers than anywhere.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers