Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slackware Linux Kernel updates

Slackware Linux Kernel updates

Am I missing something? I just installed 10.2 and 10 on some machines and there seem to be NO Kernel updates for either.....

What software updating tool are you using? Slapt-get?

You can compile a new kernel from http://www.kernel.org/. The last stable version is 2.6.15.4.

Good luck!
    The access to the computer or
    anything else that shows us how the
    world works must be total and
    unlimited.

What fool uses distro-specific kernel updates!? COMPILE YOUR OWN!
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

chsh: Yeah, but it's kind of nice to let someone else do it for you sometimes, and Pat's kernels are vanilla anyway...but I guess there's still no _good_ excuse

gore: Updates have been sparse for 10.2, but there has been at least one kernel update that I can see. Are you sure whatever tool you're using (if you are using an automatic tool) doesn't have the kernel packages excluded?

Hahahahahah. Ok man, I'll do that. Mgith take some time though, that box is my Mom's old one, and is only 192 MBs RAM, and a Celeron 433 MHz

I think one thing you're forgetting about Slackware is that Pat is very reserved when it comes to opting into something that's not quite "complete" yet... You can see this by how often updates are made to the actual distrobution (around 6 to 9 months). Hopefully 11.0 will be full on the 2.6.x kernel (which one, eh...definitly will be behind what linus says is stable) only for comfort reasons for Pat though. Read some of the stuff on the forums about it.
    Also, you always have the option of loading a 2.6.x kernel (depending on 10.0 or 10.1 or 10.2) from the testing tree from the second disk (if you're not buring dvd's) in /testing

I've talked with Pat many times and there is good reason he doesn't load everything with whistles. As for the tool, well, I use wget and upgradepkg usually, and on some boxes, swaret. I'm testing slackpkg which is on the Cds if you buy it (I buy) which is very cool. However the reason for asking was I could find the actual date 10 was released and looking over the updates, the latest Kernel update I could find was for 9.1.... So I removed Kernel from the list fo skips. No Kernel updates yet either.

Eh, you may be right. I just glanced at the changelog for stable, and there have been no kernel upgrades since 10.2 came out. It looks like there were one or two for 10.0 and 10.1, though; but those might only be available in 10.2.

Any reason you don't point slackpkg to a 10.2 mirror and update?

If it's not broke don't fix it.

When I was using linux 24/7 (sadly, no longer the case until I can get another monitor and a new HDD for my desktop2 machine), I updated the kernel every time there was an update. It's not like it's impossible to do on a slack box. It's not that hard to keep the system up to date because there isn't any kernel hacks that he puts into it, nor is there any back/front porting going on. It's really a basic linux distribution, which is why I like it.

At any rate, a kernel compile is only a make menuconfig && make modules && make modules_install && make bzImage && cp arch/i386/boot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.wtfever && cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.wtfever, and some bootloader modifications away (at least, if memory serves).
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?