Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Errrr...What a Dick...

Errrr...What a Dick...

Cheney accidentally shoots fellow hunter
    'Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good'

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) -- Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a companion during a weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, spraying the fellow hunter in the face and chest with shotgun pellets.

Harry Whittington, a millionaire attorney from Austin, was in stable condition in the intensive care unit of a Corpus Christi hospital Sunday, said Yvonne Wheeler, spokeswoman for the Christus Spohn Health System.

The accident occurred Saturday at a ranch in south Texas where the vice president and several companions were hunting quail. It was not reported publicly by the vice president's office for nearly 24 hours, and then only after it was reported locally by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times on its Web site Sunday.

Katharine Armstrong, the ranch's owner, said Sunday that Cheney was using a 28-guage shotgun and that Whittington was about 30 yards away when he was hit in the cheek, neck and chest

Each of the hunters was wearing a bright orange vest at the time, Armstrong told reporters at the ranch about 60 miles southwest of Corpus Christi. She said Whittington was "alert and doing fine."
    'Vice president didn't see him'

Armstrong told The Associated Press that emergency personnel traveling with Cheney tended to Whittington before an ambulance -- routinely on call because of the vice president's presence -- took him to the hospital.

Cheney's spokeswoman, Lea Anne McBride, said the vice president met with Whittington at the hospital on Sunday. Cheney "was pleased to see that he's doing fine and in good spirits," she said

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/....ap/index.html
    CNN.com - Cheney accidentally shoots fellow hunter - Feb 12, 2006

Hey Hey,

That's old news.. that circulated the mailing lists on the 12th.. You need to get more in with the times

Peace,
    HT

Hi HT,

First I've seen it and haven't seen it on the boards so I thought I'd post it anyways ...after all I can't be the only one who missed this..

but you're right, something like this usually gets around fast.

Eg

EDIT: how exactly do you mistake a man in a bright orange jacket with a quail how do you explain this to the guys family...

errrr...fer a second there I thought he was Dan

hmmm does Bush like hunting?

Hmmm,

Best I ever managed was getting shot by the local National Westminster Bank manager at around the same distance...............and he was using a 12 bore (guage)............ it is common enough, inexperienced people get overexcited and don't look to see what is beyond their intended target.

hmmm does Bush like hunting?
    You could re-arrange that into "a well known phrase or saying"

Maybe old Dead Eye Dick should give up hunting, considering all the difficulty he stirs up with these sporting endeavours of his.

In 2004, Dick took Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia duck hunting with unfortunate repercussions.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...cheney.scalia/

And had his sportsmanship was questioned by the Humane Society when it became known that the mighty hunter had killed 70 pen-reared pheasants one morning, then moved on to kill an unknown number of mallard ducks in a “canned hunt” at a Pennsylvania hunting club, in 2003.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...58/detail.html

Good God with aim like that no wonder our troops ended up in Iraq instead of Afghanistan.

Originally posted here by Egaladeist
    Hi HT,

First I've seen it and haven't seen it on the boards so I thought I'd post it anyways ...after all I can't be the only one who missed this..

but you're right, something like this usually gets around fast.

Eg

EDIT: how exactly do you mistake a man in a bright orange jacket with a quail how do you explain this to the guys family...

errrr...fer a second there I thought he was Dan
    Ok, from a hunter's perspective, since it seems to be in short supply around here:

Its suprisingly easy...You have to remember that you have to take into account things like grasses (high ones), bushes, trees, hills, etc...granted it was Texas so it may have been a relatively flat area but the point is, you don't know how 'thick' the area was and therefore how obstructed his view was...toss in scaring up a flock of birds close by and you'd be suprised how easy it is to focus in on the birds and never see anything behind it...We don't have pheasant in our area but we do dove hunt alot...there is a reason why when low flying birds go through an area it is customary (at least with us) to yell low bird (as a reminder to anyone who may be over-anxious to not shoot and thereby potentially endanger others, though if you are setup properly there should always be enough distance between hunters so that even if this happens, it only peppers the other person but doesn't come anywhere near breaking the skin)...Cheney had to have been awful damn close to that guy to break the skin...Please be certain, I am not saying its an ok thing, a hunter needs to be aware of everything around them at all times, but accidents do happen, and this kind of thing happens very frequently, especially with less experienced/younger hunters...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

You've got to love the white house press core acting like they were mortally wounded that they didn't get the word until the next day.. LOL What a bunch of self-absorbed, egomaniacal, egocentric, morons.

This irrational (yes, irrational) hatred of the people in this white house nevers ceases to amaze me.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Among serious gun lovers this is considered the closest thing
    to the unforgivable sin, no matter who you are.
    It will be interesting if the pro-gun press gives him the
    hammering he deserves. He's a moron. There's no
    way that shooting your hunting buddy should ever
    be classified as an "accident."
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.