Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major UPDATE for microsofts antispyware

Major UPDATE for microsofts antispyware

Greeting's

First of all its no longer "micosoft antispywre" now its called "windows defender"

It was released yesterday, although when you update microsofts antispyware it does not show up in updates. You have to manually download and install this (you'll have to uninstall microsofts antispyware 1st)

More information is provided here :

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Microsoft encourages all Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) users to download and install Windows Defender (Beta 2).
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Do they really think that calling it 'Windows Defender' is going to make more people use it? I mean, if I knew nothing about computers I'd say it was a rifle Plus, changing the name is just going to confuse more people....

Ah well, I'm going to stick with my trusty Ad-Aware, avast, SpyBot S&D and a-squared on Windows. And ClamAV on Linux.

There's no way I'm going to help M$ get rid of the companies it is now competing against.

Cheers,

-jk

Hi,

although when you update microsofts antispyware it does not show up in updates
    I just looked at mine. There is now a message on the first screen that says it expires in xxx days, which is 31st July 2006. And to "contact Microsoft for an updated version"

I guess they are just trying to spread the load on their servers?

EDIT: J_K9 also remember the business relatiopnships that MS has with some spyware/adware outfits. It won't detect those "by design" ( and this time I believe the "by design" rather than "urrrrrrrrrrr it does that does it?" )

What do refer to when you say it won't detect those? The other anti-malware apps not being recognised (as malware)?

Still, Microsoft are depleting their market share, however small that amount may be....

Hi J_K9

Microsoft deal with some "adware" outfits. Their adware/spyware stuff is not reported by MS antispyware. Also AFAIK, the MS antispyware does not handle cookies, which other products do.

Given the availability of free anti-malware applications, I don't think that MS are taking anyone's "market share" as such. I suspect they are trying to shore up their operating systems instead.

On an historical note, I still have Windows 3.x which shipped with "Microsoft Antivirus", back then IBM were also in the AV arena. Both applications being bundled with their products. In a way, MS are just revisiting their original position.

Originally posted here by nihil
    Microsoft deal with some "adware" outfits. Their adware/spyware stuff is not reported by MS antispyware. Also AFAIK, the MS antispyware does not handle cookies, which other products do.
    Oh, ok. That really sucks (and is automatically a reason not to use it?)
    Given the availability of free anti-malware applications, I don't think that MS are taking anyone's "market share" as such. I suspect they are trying to shore up their operating systems instead.
    No, but some anti-malware products do have a retail price when shipped with an AV or firewall... You're right though about why they're doing it - but I can see them writing an antivirus product in a while, and if that's also distributed for free, then what would be the point of purchasing a commercial AV/firewall/anti-malware app?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid and all they're trying to do is make the average user's computing experience slightly better...

Hi,

http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Microsoft bought into the AV industry back in 2003.

then what would be the point of purchasing a commercial AV/firewall/anti-malware app?
    Ease of use, speed effectiveness? and most of all do you really trust Microsoft?

After all, if MS do it and "give it away" they are not doing it for your benefit, they are doing it to defend their products and their corporate image, at least with a third party you know where you stand.

Originally posted here by nihil
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Microsoft bought into the AV industry back in 2003.
    But have not released a free AV product...
    Ease of use, speed effectiveness? and most of all do you really trust Microsoft?

After all, if MS do it and "give it away" they are not doing it for your benefit, they are doing it to defend their products and their corporate image, at least with a third party you know where you stand.
    I meant that the average user would not see the point of upgrading to a commercial solution - I think most of us on this site know better than to trust Microsoft...

If they were to do "give it away", I agree that would be their intention - but they would have to release regular updates to keep their corporate image intact, and therefore the average Joe would benefit by having an up-to-date AV which came with his PC. _Which he shouldn't rely on_, but he doesn't know that, does he?

The Iceman Cometh
    But have not released a free AV product...
    Techincally that's not true. Their OneCare Live Beta is out and it's free (at least for the time being as long as it's in beta.

A.J.

Originally posted here by avdven
    Techincally that's not true. Their OneCare Live Beta is out and it's free (at least for the time being as long as it's in beta.

A.J.
    You got me there avdven!

I wonder if it'll still be free past the beta stage. I might run a few tests to see how good it currently is