Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting thing that happens with water

Interesting thing that happens with water

Howdy.

Ok, i noticed this a little while ago. I put a soft drink bottle, regular 600ml variety on my kitchen tap. I forced it on so it was tight.
    I then turned on the water and held the tap into the bottle, this made a airtight seal. Obviously the pressure built up quite a bit by the time it was around 3/4 full. I took it off, it came off quite easily and made sure it didnt hit the bottom of the sink so it wouldnt make a lound noise and big splash. You can see quite a bit of water vapour comes out of the top of the bottle, like fog or a cloud.

It comes out in whisps and its quite cool looking. I dont know exactly why it does it but its probably because of rapid compression and decompression of water and air. I could be completely wrong. Give it a go, the worst that could happen is a loud bang and a bit of a splash of water, if you are careful you can see this interesting thing.

So would i be right in thinking that the vapour thingy is appearing from the sudden decompression of air etc.?

cheers
    front2back

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Your probably getting 100%+ humidity (super saturated?) in the air in the bottle because of the pressure. When you release the pressrue suddenly the air is no longer compressed and cannot hold the excess water so it condenses out as a little mini cloud. Someone can probably explain this in partial pressures or something. I can't remember any gas law equations.

You get this when you take the cap off soda bottles as well.

Aspman hit it head on. Its because the air thats left in the bottle is constantly fuseing with water molecules as you fill it. Since the inside of the bottle is water and a lair of air, the h20 concentration is greater in the water layer than the air layer, obviously. Take what you know about concentrations, the fact that they always attempt to equalize, and you get the air layer becoming highly humid and vaporish, think fog. When you open the bottle to release it now there is a sudden HUGE difference in the h20 concentration and the fog rushes out in an attempt to better equalize the concentration of h20.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Re: Interesting thing that happens with water

Better yet, get a 2 Liter of any carbonated soda, and then simultaneously drop 13+ Mentos (Original work best) into it. Very spectacular.

*NOTE: Do not do this inside, especially if you're ceiling clearance is less than 6-7 meters. You might also want to get the F*** out of the way once you drop them.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

Howdy.

Thanks for the answers guys. I did some more research on this both on google and with experiments at home. and this is just really fascinating for me..

Better yet, get a 2 Liter of any carbonated soda, and then simultaneously drop 13+ Mentos (Original work best) into it. Very spectacular.

*NOTE: Do not do this inside, especially if you're ceiling clearance is less than 6-7 meters. You might also want to get the F*** out of the way once you drop them.
    I tried this outside and i got a somewhat spectacular result. i wasn't expecting for it to make the mess that i was left with though.

cheers
    front2back

If you like doing neet little expirements here is one that i got a kick out of back in highschool chem.

Materials:
    some electrical tape
    4 conductive nails
    a length of copper, or any conductive metal, wire
    Pop bottle
    Alchohol, if you use the drinking kind a higher proof works better.
    corck that will fit in the bottle's mouth
    Gum or clay
    Dry-cell battery, the kind that you find in sproting goods stores that are big rectangluar and about 5-inches high and 2inches wide and deep roughly.

Take the bottle and lay it on its side. Take two of the nails and put them about half way into the bottle towards the bottom or it so that the tips of the nails almost touch. \ / kinda like that, then use the gum or clay to seal the hoels the nails made. take the other two nails and wrap some of the tape around it, enough for you to safely hold it, this is to prevent any sort of shock to you. Then take those nails and wrap a little wire around them and hook them up to the battery, one on each pole. this is your ignition. pour a little bit of the alchohol into the bottle and cap it. Wait a few minutes to let the alchohol begin to evaporate in the bottle. aim it away from anything you don't want broken, and take into account the bouncy factor of the cork, then touch the nails that are connected to the battery to the nails in the bottle. There will be a small spark between the two nail tips in the bottle igniteing the alchohol vapors and shooting your cork. If you dont get a good distance then just add a little more alchohol and try again. BE VERY CAREFUL not to add to much alchohol or the resulting explosion will be more powerful than the integrity of the bottle and instead of shooting the cork you will just blow up the bottle. My friends and i used to make these and go out back and see who could shoot the most cans on the fence, birds on the wire, or squirrels in the trees. Don't worry the accuracy of these things isn't that great so we never were able to actually hit any alive and moving targets, just the cans, although we did come close to a squirrel a few times, man can they jump. . .

DISCLAIMER
    I take no responsability if you get hurt doing this, hurt someone else, or break something that wasn't supposed to get broken. This is a very simple and safe thing to do. If you are stupid enough to screw it up and get hurt its your own damn fault.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

********** |ceWriterguy
    Disclaimer: I am bloody well not responsible for anyone being stupid enough to actually do this, or any injuries which might result if this is done improperly.

What you need:

A plastic bowl (a marjorine tub works nicely)

Drano

A piece of tinfoil, cut into 1/4 inch strips (about a foot of it).

A box of heavy duty garbage bags (the big green ones).

A roll of toilet paper and a cigarette lighter.

Do NOT do this on a windy day! For best results, do this on a calm night, far away from structures or trees.

Put about 2 inches of draino in the bottom of the bowl. Insert some strips of tinfoil. Wrap a garbage bag round the top of the bowl for as airtight a seal as you can get. After the garbage bag fills, tie it off, tie a long-ish strip of toilet paper to the garbage bag. The toilet paper is your fuse - light it on fire and release the bag into the air.

What you've done:
    The tinfoil reacts with the drano to produce pure Hydrogen gas, which is lighter than air and quite explosive. The garbage bags trap the hydrogen and acts as a balloon, to which you've tied your toilet paper fuse. I'll leave the rest to your imagination, but the Hindenberg disaster gives a good indication of what happens...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    BI forgot to add at the end after your experiment sit back and wait for the DHS to hand deliver your one way ticket to sunny Cuba.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Actually... If your water is chlorinated I think you'll find that the mist you see is chlorine being "blown off" because of the sudden change in pressure. If you fill a bucket with fresh water and get the light right you can see a mist coming off the surface. It's this "blowing off" of the chlorine that most marine aquarists use to get _fresh_ water for top-off... You can spend money on dechlorinators or just let the bucket sit for 12-24 hours and the chlorine will go away on it's own.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Man you guys suck. None of that gets you free pop. (Soda to you red necks.)

Me and my Best friend did this one night while being thirsty and broke:

We had been at Dennys Restaraunt for a couple hours, my best friend stole a bottle of salt.... Not sure why. So anyway, we decide, hey, a 2 litre in the back seat... There was a two litre bottle in my back seat and me and him were thirsty. So we went back to Dennys, made the bottle half full of water from the bathroom sink, went back in my car, saw an OLD coke machine by a motel, poured the salt into the half full bottle, and then emptied the whole thing into the machine's coin and paper dollar slots.

The effects were instant. Cans started POURING out of the thing. So we quenched our thisrt, loaded my trunk and drove away.