Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ip and forums

Are you talking about somewhere like Neworder?? where they display part of the address, which is usually the name of the DSL provider?? Cos its possible then that you and someone else are posting from the same ISP. Is it the entire IP that is displayed??

i2c

Or, it is possible that nuthin left a system logged in and someone came behind him/her and posted. There are just so many possibilites. And, it is such a target rich environment!
    Do you mean that if say, instead of logging out from AntiOnline, I just closed my browser and left, someone could access my account or post in my name?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Yup, if you log on automitically and dont clear your cookies when you log off, someone could browse to AO on your machine and when they opened AO up, they would be logged in as you.

If someone really wants to, as your password apparently is also strored in a cookie as well they could de-cypher it and get you password. But they would have to be pretty sad IMO to want to do that!

Yup, if you log on automitically and dont clear your cookies when you log off, someone could browse to AO on your machine and when they opened AO up, they would be logged in as you.
    Ok, I meant someone on another computer, not my computer. I didn't think that was possible, but then, who knows? There is a lot I don't know, and the only way I'm going to learn is asking questions. Thanks for you help.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

its a a forum with some areas open without having to sign in.
    so without getting my inlogg info and such and not being on my computer doing it isint there someway to post and seem as if that poster had my ips ??
    there are progs that u can use to "hide" ur ip so couldnt there be a prog that u can put in a ip in and to whatever forum u went and posted that ip would show up that u put in the prog ?

nuthin: check out Tor, from EFF, it uses a trick called onion routing - the new installer makes it easier than ever before to set it up

Im in a good mode today so spare google just this once - http://tor.eff.org/download.html.en

i2c

thanks alot m8
    just to make it clear to me that dont really understand all this ip thing to do good this prog can by using this onion routing make some1 seems as they are posting from my ip even tho they arent ??

im gonna do a search on onion routing since i dont even know what that is hehe

check out this page, http://tor.eff.org/overview.html.en

basically your connection hops through a series of computers and then becuase the last computer on that series of computers is one to actually connect to the forum or website, thats the one that gets its IP posted.

EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) are all for privacy and thats why Tor was created, actually i tell a lie, it was created for the navy first, but its been adopted for this.

An IP is analogous to your house address, basically when you post a letter a post mark is stamped on it and your return address is on the back. Which the recipent can use to write back to you.

With Tor and proxies in general, its like using a series of PO boxes with a series of stickers placed over the top of you last previous address, that are removed at each mail box. (of course thats one way and the PO boxes would need to remember where to re-route reply mail to...)

hope that helps??

i2c

hmm yea a bit hehe but not quite what im looking for a think. more like a prog that for example i dns some1 on irc and i got their ip and so i put it into the "prog" and then i go post and it will show as the person i dnsed on irc, his ips will show.
    is that possible to do? if u have a static or dynamic ip ??

sorry if im being annoying now hehe

IPs are not hard to glean. Heck, there were some scripts in signatures on AO that displayed your IP. YOUR IP, not the poster's. If you were accessing through a proxy, that was the IP displayed. Of course, it changed when your IP reservation changed, or you moved to another system.

What you want to do is fool or obfuscate the system logs of the forum you are accessing. This is unethical and the only reason I can think of that you might want to do that is to cause some havoc on the forum.

I strongly suggest that you spend some time learning about DNS, TCP/IP and networking and read the information on the links provided. You may also want to review your use agreement with the forum you are using to understand your role and responsibilities as a net citizen.